evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: mx5

Is it cheaper to replace engine or fix a rod knock?

Whatsup EvoM,

My car has been stored away for winter due to a rod knock from the engine. Car has completely stock engine. My question is will it be cheaper to replace engine or fix the internal problems? Any advice or opinion will be appreciated.

Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Plat Vendor
Personal Sales Rating: (211)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2005 Evo RS.. 1st Street Evo in the 8's!!

Send a message via AIM to AWD Motorsports Send a message via MSN to AWD Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoney View Post
Whatsup EvoM,

My car has been stored away for winter due to a rod knock from the engine. Car has completely stock engine. My question is will it be cheaper to replace engine or fix the internal problems? Any advice or opinion will be appreciated.
Cheaper to buy a longblock and just drop it in the car and go.. Then sell off any extras that are good on your rod knocked motor.. For a little more you can fix yours and end up with a built motor but you only asked for cheapest way to get back on the road..

Also if you want to just get rid of the car we buy them as it sits blown..

Mike
  • AWD Black Evo 8 - 8.75@163mph (in 2008)
  • World's Quickest Evo 8 Street Car - 8.98@156mph
  • World's Quickest / Fastest Stock Ecu - 8.99@163mph
  • World's Quickest / Fastest Drag Radial Evo 8/9- 9.05@160mph
  • World's Quickest / Fastest Stock Ecu Mivec Evo - 8.99@163mph
  • World's Quickest Stock Frame FP Black - 9.33@146mph
  • World's Fastest Stock Turbo Evo - 10.21@133mph ( Most-Wanted )

Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2006 Evo 9, 2014 Q50

Because your crank may be damage, I would have to lean to either build it (Inspect Crank) or do what Awd says

Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (78)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Nissan 350z eclipse spyder eclipse hardtop 08 lancer 03 lancer evolution

build the motor hands down when mine was acting up and I did not know why no evo shops buy me i pull the whole thing and dropped a 2.4 in there and moved on. no point in messing with it perfect excuse to go built motor for sure and as mike stated sell off old parts as I did.
FP BLACK, ebay 02, Met.Black PPI Intake Manifold, Mike@AwdMotorsports built evo8head, AMS Fuel Line, JesseB Mona Lisa, JMS Racing 2.4, Aem: OilPressure TruBoost WB, Fp 4r , AMS 2.4 HG, GTspec StrutBar, Weapon R Tanks, Sharkbite Milspec 65mm T/B, Spoolin Up COP, FA SS boltkit, STM OilCooler, Exedy Twin HD, FIC 1450cc, Techna-Fit Brake kit, JMS Double Pumper, baffled oil pan
, CF VG

Ordered

Video of the new built monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SDidjlxZz20
600+whp/575tq

Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: WRX, Evo

As great as it is to just drop in a new engine and go, why don't you assess the damage first. If your crank is still in good shape, you may be able to get it cleaned up and polished and put slightly thicker bearings in there if needed. The engine will still have to come out of the car but in terms of cost, a little machining to clean up the crank and rod plus bearings is much cheaper than another engine. If the crank is no good, then you can go the new engine route. My two cents. -A

Last edited by Adrewzki; Dec 30, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 05 Suzuki GSXR 600 (DD), 03 EVO 8

Send a message via AIM to sonicnofadz
If its got rod knock (and it indeed is the rod knocking, not a cracked piston) then you will at the very least need an entire new crankshaft and a full set of bearings. This is way cheaper than an entire new engine, but the only way you are going to be able to tell what was destroyed is to pop the pan and examine the crank and maybe remove the cylinder head. Good luck!
255/40/17 Falken Azenis RT-615s on stock Enkei rims, TEIN Flex coilovers with TEIN EDFC, Walbro 255, Helix V1 272 cams, Hawk HPS front & rear pads, HKS turbo timer, Perrin Turbo Back, Perrin straight pipe, HKS RS intake, IX BOV, Hallman MBC, A/C delete, Ebay manifold + o2 housing, ebay FMIC, Exedy Twin plate, Flashed by Jestr, other ECU tricks performed by Kreionic, Stock 03 turbo, stock 9.8 hotside. 350whp & 322 ft-lbs using 93 octane. 12.3 secs @ 114mph

Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:47 AM   #7
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII

just because you have a rod knock doesnt mean your crank will need to be replaced. I had spun a rod bearing and was able to reuse my crank when the motor was built. obviously after being polished.

but yes it is cheaper to replace with another long block. I went with a built shortblock because its like having a brand new motor and could be happier
Currently:Buschur 2.0LR, Buschur Street Core FMIC, STM oil cooler, ACT Street Disc, STM Test Pipe, STM modified 4" intake w/K&N filter, AEM EMS, FIC 1050, walbro 255, hallman boost controller, tune by Emery@STM, Apexi turbo back exhaust, AEM UGEO, Greddy bov, hard pipes
322hp/296tq at 25psi boost

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: mx5

Yeah i will update this thread after i get my car fully inspected. I'm sure if has to do with something internal as it has the sound rattling from inside so i suspect it is a rod knock from videos posted on youtube.

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (78)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Nissan 350z eclipse spyder eclipse hardtop 08 lancer 03 lancer evolution

somebody mentioned polishing crank then using oversized bearings dont be dumb enough to do that. get new motor safest route
FP BLACK, ebay 02, Met.Black PPI Intake Manifold, Mike@AwdMotorsports built evo8head, AMS Fuel Line, JesseB Mona Lisa, JMS Racing 2.4, Aem: OilPressure TruBoost WB, Fp 4r , AMS 2.4 HG, GTspec StrutBar, Weapon R Tanks, Sharkbite Milspec 65mm T/B, Spoolin Up COP, FA SS boltkit, STM OilCooler, Exedy Twin HD, FIC 1450cc, Techna-Fit Brake kit, JMS Double Pumper, baffled oil pan
, CF VG

Ordered

Video of the new built monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SDidjlxZz20
600+whp/575tq

Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: RX-7, Miata, OB X

How much would a used shortblock cost?

Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, cost, crankshaft, engine, evo, fix, good, knock, knocking, knocks, replace, rod, sale, subaru, wrx