Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering wheel not lining up!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel not lining up!

Well, after A terrible mishap I had with letting someone work on my car and deciding to drop the subframe to do A clutch job. I finished the install myself but when I went for A drive I noticed I did not line up the steering wheel column spines right and now my steering wheel is about A 1/4 turn to the right when it's supposed to be straight. My question is, is there anyway to fix this without having to drop the subframe again?!?!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why you are supposed to unbolt the power steering rack from the sub-frame and leave it all attached to the car when you do remove the sub-frame. Sounds like your going to have to pull it all back down and readjust it.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Any alignment shop can fix it, or you can get under there and do it yourself if you prefer. You should be able to do it both under the dash or under the car.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

If you take the bottom half of your dash off under your steering wheel and the bottom cover off the steering wheel you can fix it easily. There are 4 bolts that hold the steering column up. You will have to undo the steering column and pull it off the shaft coming through the firewall. After that, line up the splines and put it back together. Repeat until its straight. After that put a line on the shaft where they meet to mark where its straight. Its FAR easier to drop the subframe on a clutch install is why they did it. Once its marked its easy to line up from there out.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Personally I put a line on before so I know how many splines I went over, then erase it when finished and make a new line.

Such a pity that some mechanics are so careless.

Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
If you take the bottom half of your dash off under your steering wheel and the bottom cover off the steering wheel you can fix it easily. There are 4 bolts that hold the steering column up. You will have to undo the steering column and pull it off the shaft coming through the firewall. After that, line up the splines and put it back together. Repeat until its straight. After that put a line on the shaft where they meet to mark where its straight. Its FAR easier to drop the subframe on a clutch install is why they did it. Once its marked its easy to line up from there out.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:36 AM

Just get an alignment done and you will be ok, your toe is off adjustment and an alignment will correct it.