Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transfer and diff bleeding procedure??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer and diff bleeding procedure??

hi guys i've evo 9...

just wondering is there any special procedure to bleed when you replacing front transfer case oil? and rear diff ATF spIII oil? i can see there is bleeding nipple underneath the tranfer case and rear diff? do u have to bleed it?
i have no idea..please if anyone can help me out!! thanks lot guys!!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:39 PM

same question here

looks like my diff making noise
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

you dont have to bleed it, just drain it while on level ground. then jack the front to get everything completely out. then use a 5-6' funnel and tube to fill it. when you cant add any more fluid and it stops spilling out then its full. make sure your on level ground and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
you dont have to bleed it, just drain it while on level ground. then jack the front to get everything completely out. then use a 5-6' funnel and tube to fill it. when you cant add any more fluid and it stops spilling out then its full. make sure your on level ground and you'll be fine.
If you are doing the rear diff and transfer case fluid changes then yes this is true but an incomplete answer. He mentioned bleeding and ATF SP III which is the ACD fluid. This system (ACD control system which is also partially in the transfer case) is a hydraulic system and yes it does need to be bled. If you are putting ATF in your DIFF, Xfer CASE or TRANS you are doing something wrong.

The rear diff can be done as shown above and the transmission and xfer case seems to be easiest to do with a .5" ODx4-5ft plastic hose stuck in the fill hole and run up to the top of the engine bay. there are how-tos and qtys of how much fluid will get you to the fill hole so you dont waste too much overflowing from the fill hole.

diff and x-fer case use the same fluid which is a heavy duty gear oil (name depends on brand).

The tranny uses a different fluid from the diff and depends which tranny you have (5 or 6 sp).

Again ATF SP III is for the ACD and the fill point is the reservoir at the top front of the engine bay with the bleed screw on the x-fer case if i remember correctly. There are plenty of how to threads on the bleeding procedure that use turning the pump on and off using the ignition ACC position (dealer uses a special power bleeder)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dolson222
If you are doing the rear diff and transfer case fluid changes then yes this is true but an incomplete answer. He mentioned bleeding and ATF SP III which is the ACD fluid. This system (ACD control system which is also partially in the transfer case) is a hydraulic system and yes it does need to be bled. If you are putting ATF in your DIFF, Xfer CASE or TRANS you are doing something wrong.

The rear diff can be done as shown above and the transmission and xfer case seems to be easiest to do with a .5" ODx4-5ft plastic hose stuck in the fill hole and run up to the top of the engine bay. there are how-tos and qtys of how much fluid will get you to the fill hole so you dont waste too much overflowing from the fill hole.

diff and x-fer case use the same fluid which is a heavy duty gear oil (name depends on brand).

The tranny uses a different fluid from the diff and depends which tranny you have (5 or 6 sp).

Again ATF SP III is for the ACD and the fill point is the reservoir at the top front of the engine bay with the bleed screw on the x-fer case if i remember correctly. There are plenty of how to threads on the bleeding procedure that use turning the pump on and off using the ignition ACC position (dealer uses a special power bleeder)

oops i have an evo 8 with no acd lol.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

It's also an AUDM EVO so he will have ayc rear diff.