Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't stay running

Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't stay running

I have an 03 evo I purchased off a fellow evo owner on here who decided to lie to me about all the problems, frame being bent and even miles. That said I have dumped anywhere from 2-3 grand into this thing already and had the main issues fixed. I have had it back for about a week and it's been driving and running fine.

One thing I noticed though was when it had been sitting and I'd go to drive it, it would start up fine but when I'd go up the road it was almost as if it was missing. I figured it was the spark plugs so I bought some new ones, put them in today and now the car won't even stay running and you have to give it gas just to get it to idle. As soon as I let off the gas it shuts off... It doesn't sound the same way it did before, it has a real choppy rough idle(if I can get a video later I will). I put the plugs that were in it back in and nothing. I tried driving it and it just shut off.

I don't see how changing the plugs would cause this and was thinking it might be the timing? idk but I was wondering if anyone on here had this happen before or might know what it could be to help me in the right direction. This is ridiculous..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to autozone and rent a code scanner. then look up whatever codes you got cuz Im assuming your check engine light is on.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yes the check engine light was on when I picked it up, I'm assuming it's thrown more codes since then too.... I guess that's my first plan of action.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

also some details of the car would be helpful to diagnose, I'm not an expert but I know my way around a car better than the average joe. Details as in the mods it has, I'm assuming it modified or was modified up the azz.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

check your 02 sensor
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

any recent mods and get a tune
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

No recent mods, I was unable to get a code reader tonight.. The mods the car had when I got it were the following:

-Precision 880cc injectors-
-Hks 272s cams-
-Crower Titanium Springs and Retainers
-Cometic Head Gasket-
-Arp Head Studs-
-Aem intake-
-Ngk Step One colder Plugs
-Hallman Mbc-
-Espirlir Jgt 500 Cat back-
-Synapse bypass valve-
-Megan Down pipe-
-Quaff Diff-

I have an apexi turbo timer and it has an a/fr and it was reading 19 at idle..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Try to do a boost leak test.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if its running rough like idles rough check for vacuum lines missing or unplugged off the intake manifold, if all are there check behind tb for egr valve vacuum line. If thats good do like ^ guy said above, a boost leak test, if thats good, well might be time for a compression/leakdown test. So before you get nervous check the basics, use the manual or search for how to check each of these. good luck.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

yea some guy just did a writeup about his idling problems and it was his EGR valve or egr hose leak. your idle might not be too great with those cams in the first place though. But you said it felt fine before. But you might wanna do the leak tests and might as well scan code first and see what it says might give you a better idea of what you are lookin for.

Last edited by intj123; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:02 AM
Former Sponsor

if u just did ur plugs the obvious solution is to double check your connections with the coils and plugs as well as the plug connections. i've seen it before start and run rough sounded like subie if someone didnt have good connections
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Magrud3r
I have an 03 evo I purchased off a fellow evo owner on here who decided to lie to me about all the problems, frame being bent and even miles. That said I have dumped anywhere from 2-3 grand into this thing already and had the main issues fixed. I have had it back for about a week and it's been driving and running fine.

One thing I noticed though was when it had been sitting and I'd go to drive it, it would start up fine but when I'd go up the road it was almost as if it was missing. I figured it was the spark plugs so I bought some new ones, put them in today and now the car won't even stay running and you have to give it gas just to get it to idle. As soon as I let off the gas it shuts off... It doesn't sound the same way it did before, it has a real choppy rough idle(if I can get a video later I will). I put the plugs that were in it back in and nothing. I tried driving it and it just shut off.

I don't see how changing the plugs would cause this and was thinking it might be the timing? idk but I was wondering if anyone on here had this happen before or might know what it could be to help me in the right direction. This is ridiculous..
sorry to hear about this, that really is poor that someone would sell you a car in that condition. do you have any logging tools, tactrix cable and evoscan. if so i would log car under these conditions then see if someone can help assess, this is assuming you do not have any existing codes that could be addressed. what plugs did you install and what gap?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Okay so here's an update.. this morning I went out and got the code reader on it and it came back with 3 codes, 2 being the same codes.

PO141 - Circuit malfunction
PO134 - Censor CKT No activation (twice)

Now the car doesn't even sound like it's trying to start, it may of fouled the plugs out I have not checked them yet.. I was told it could be valve springs or boost leak. I'm not completely sure where to start on these problems or where to look yet so I'll just keep researching I guess.

The car had NGK R plugs (BPR8ES) and I was putting in Autolite double platinums (APP63), thinking nothing of it. The gaps weren't the same but I adjusted the new plugs so they we pretty much even. Even after putting the old plugs back in nothing, so something else must of happened. The old plugs were getting spark when we tested them but the newer ones weren't.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Those codes are your front O2 sensor one is the heater circuit and the other is no response.

Did you unplug it when you took the spark plug cover off for some reason. If not I'd check the wiring, if it appears ok replace the O2 sensor
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Those codes are your front O2 sensor one is the heater circuit and the other is no response.

Did you unplug it when you took the spark plug cover off for some reason. If not I'd check the wiring, if it appears ok replace the O2 sensor
I will check but did not mess with it. Where would I get an O2 sensor without breaking the bank? I've seen them for $300 and up..

Edit: found this site but not sure which one to order?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...gen+Sensors%29

Last edited by Magrud3r; Aug 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't stay running