Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removed Radiator/AC Condenser. Service Engine Soon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Removed Radiator/AC Condenser. Now Service Engine Soon Light?

Chaps... I went to install my new (used) AC Condenser this past Sunday. The easiest way seemed to be to remove the radiator... so.

I removed the drain plug, and the cap and drained it. Removed the fan, unhooked the 3 hoses, lifted it out of the car. Pulled my leaking (non working) condenser, and swapped in the new one (I believe its off an 8, though I have a 9 fwiw).

I reinstalled the radiator, filled it back up to the top with 50/50 green coolant, reinstalled the fan. Started the car. Now at this point, I left the radiator cap off because I was expecting to have to add coolant. I turned the heater on full and let it idle. Bam... service engine soon. Turned it off, topped off the ounce or so of coolant it took and reinstalled the cap. Disconnected/reconnected the battery.

Restarted... after a minute or two the SES light came back on. Any ideas? I'm going to try and pull the codes this week sometime.

I also had to move my Hallman MBC around and I fear I may have adjusted the knob inadvertantly. So I dialed it down about a half turn (no WAY I bumped it more than that). Conveniently... my boost gauge is lost in the mail on its way back to AEM for warranty as well. I have a new one coming in ASAP... so hopefully that gets sorted.

Sorry... tldr. Pulled radiator and AC condenser and now I have service engine soon. Possibly bumped my MBC knob. Thoughts?

Last edited by ProPilot04; Sep 27, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the SES light and then try and figure out the problem.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the code and go from there
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks fellas. Obv thats my plan. I was just hoping that someone had some logical solution like... "oh yeah, whenever you try to have a fast car with AC, you get the SES light" lol...

I'll report back in a couple hours.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when you re installed the fans, did you plug them back in? Are they coming on at all?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Alright...

Sadly, I was unable to get my bumper cover sorted out and reinstalled before the auto store closed up. SO I don't have the code... BUT!

I reconnected the battery after THOROUGHLY checking the engine bay over and everything appeared to be fine EXCEPT the little hose that connects the valve cover to the intake tube (the one where an oil catch can would typically be installed) had disconnected from the intake tube.

Is this something that can cause the SES light?

I took the car for a test drive (basically just to dip into boost a bit to have the ECU organize the maps again so the car would idle normally (lol) and the light didn't come back on at all. The fans are all working just fine, the AC now works, its not leaking coolant or anything, and I currently have no SES light?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I had that hose come of on my DSM and it screwed the idle. No SES but then it was built in 1992.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm who knows. Could've thrown one of those pesky insufficient EGR purge flow...or not. But at least it seems to be all better, right?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it seems to be fine. I'll be taking it to STM this weekend anyway because my stupid AEM boost gauge is lost in the mail on its way back for warranty, so I have no idea what my boost is at and I know I bumped my MBC.

Hopefully my new boost gauge shows up by Friday and this all goes smooth.