Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Considering selling my Z06 to buy another EVO....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I dont understand the argument about winter. The vette is in a different class where the majority of owners don't need to drive it in the winter or live in a place where they can drive it all year round. Its a moot point and ridiculous. Try to drive your evo with the factory tires in the winter, let me know how far you get on snow.
I don't really know what you're talking about. I never said anything of the kind. If you're referring to my comment about the rubber, the current ZO6 can be ordered with a package that includes what are essentially race tires.

I loved my evo, I've raced both and there is no way i could agree that the evo was better handling even with 2x the suspension investment and parts.
I'm not about to argue a negative. As for the mods on your Evo, well, they were what they were.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
The Evo does handle better. That's what the car does. It's not a drag machine, though it can make for a very good one, and it's not a show car that has a snowball's chance in hell of making it out of its own driveway without plowing, and it's not a canvas for someone's haphazardly conceived modding fantasies; it's a scalpel-precise cornering monster. Now, if you were to say that a typical forum-modded Evo doesn't handle better than a ZO6 that hasn't been similarly screwed up, sure, I agree completely. If you were to assert that a properly optioned ZO6 will have more grip than an Evo on street tires, OK again. This isn't meant to take anything away from the ZO6. It's a fantastic machine.
Originally Posted by FJF
I don't really know what you're talking about. I never said anything of the kind. If you're referring to my comment about the rubber, the current ZO6 can be ordered with a package that includes what are essentially race tires.
Other things to point out, the vette really isnt a drag car. It is a better platform, not for picking up the kids and going grocery shopping before you hit the track -- which the evo is great at -- it is a designed-to-be racecar. You can't argue that and with that point it is a better handling car. Sorry, but its a fact. Look at any statistics.

Last edited by MR Turco; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other things to point out, the vette really isnt a drag car. It is a better platform, not for picking up the kids and going grocery shopping before you hit the track -- which the evo is great at -- it is a designed-to-be racecar. You can't argue that and with that point it is a better handling car. Sorry, but its a fact. Look at any statistics.
He meant plowing your front end into the driveway, not getting your driveway plowed.

It's a ground-clearance/daily driver point, not a bad weather driving point.

glad to be of help.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by wjamyers
He meant plowing your front end into the driveway, not getting your driveway plowed.

It's a ground-clearance/daily driver point, not a bad weather driving point.

glad to be of help.
It's poorly worded and it snowed yesterday, in October... so i have somewhat of a one track mind at the moment. If that is the way he meant it, it still doesn't make sense. The vette scrapes the air dam but my SE lip was in just as bad of shape.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I wish you wouldn't put me in this position:

Originally Posted by FJF
...and it's not a show car that has a snowball's chance in hell of making it out of its own driveway without plowing,
SHOW car, show. A snowball's chance in hell is an old saying illustrating a distinct lack of probability, and plowing refers to understeer.

What?

It's poorly worded and it snowed yesterday, in October... so i have somewhat of a one track mind at the moment. If that is the way he meant it, it still doesn't make sense. The vette scrapes the air dam but my SE lip was in just as bad of shape.
<grin> How about just saying that you misread my comment, instead of trying to shift blame? I mean, snow and show are hardly the same word.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: text
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
I'll bite. What statistics are you talking about?
19'd.

I has some statistics:

By all means, if you're interested in trading out of the Vette, to an Evo, please do so; do what makes you happy.

Don't, however, confuse "drives easier" with "handles better". Feel free to provide data to support your conclusions.

Let's look at some M/T test data:
2006 Z06 (on GY Eagle F1 Supercar EM tires, not the "option race tires"):
1.05 Lateral G, 100ft 60-0
Evo IX:
.99 Lat G, 111ft
EvoX:
.95 Lat G, 113ft

How about the Top Gear test track? "Some might say..." it's a handling-oriented circuit.

Z06: 1:22.4 lap time
Evo VIII MR FQ-400: 1:24.8 lap time
FQ 320: 126.0
Evo X FQ300 128.2

It looks to me like it's a large leap to declare that the Evo handles better than a Z06.

"But you can bolt on a million things and it will be better and faster and moar awesome!!!! Vroom vrooom"

I know, Timmy, I know. The Evo is the best car ever made, ever.

Last edited by avengerhed; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by FJF
SHOW car, show. A snowball's chance in hell is an old saying illustrating a distinct lack of probability, and plowing refers to understeer.
I understand the term but plowing, approaching the winter, to me, implies snow control, not understeer. And i still don't understand the plowing comment.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> How about just saying that you misread my comment, instead of trying to shift blame? I mean, snow and show are hardly the same word.
i was reading, what i thought you were connecting, to snowball and plowing. I get the show car comment, the vette is a better looking car too.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
19'd.

I has some statistics:

By all means, if you're interested in trading out of the Vette, to an Evo, please do so; do what makes you happy.

Don't, however, confuse "drives easier" with "handles better". Feel free to provide data to support your conclusions.

Let's look at some M/T test data:
2006 Z06 (on GY Eagle F1 Supercar EM tires, not the "option race tires"):
1.05 Lateral G, 100ft 60-0
Evo IX:
.99 Lat G, 111ft
EvoX:
.95 Lat G, 113ft

How about the Top Gear test track? "Some might say..." it's a handling-oriented circuit.

Z06: 1:22.4 lap time
Evo VIII MR FQ-400: 1:24.8 lap time
FQ 320: 126.0
Evo X FQ300 128.2

It looks to me like it's a large leap to declare that the Evo handles better than a Z06.

"But you can bolt on a million things and it will be better and faster and moar awesome!!!! Vroom vrooom"

Look at the tires.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by FJF
Look at the tires.
Really grasping at straws huh?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Look at the tires.
FQ was fitted with Toyo Proxes R1R, all 4 clawing for traction.

Z06 was equipped with factory runflats.

Also, please see above:

I know the Evo can be a super speshul race car. But it's pretty ****ing dense to say unequivocally that it handles better than a Z06.
FJF
Evolved Member

Really grasping at straws huh?
Wait, what? Tire choice, as it relates to lap times and steady-state cornering is now grasping at straws. It's like saying that power and gearing has no bearing on ETs. Sure, that can happen.
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets be honest here. The factory fq400 made that time, tons of cars on this forum are setup to handle better and be faster and better responding than the factory fq400.

With little money spent the factory evo will be faster on that lap I'm sure. Also, why is everybody treating it like it is such an exotic? the z06 is common and it's fast, but it's not some crazy exotic. There are factory cars that have done the top gear lap over 6 seconds faster for comparable price. 2012 gtr - 1.17

so what is the argument here? which car is faster around a handling based track factory?
modified? Cost factors? the evo bang for the buck performance is amazing, and to say the z06 is the best platform is debatable as the gtr is an awd twin turbo and is 7 seconds faster on the track

sooooo
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Z06 was equipped with factory runflats.
We know this, how? I'm asking, because very major magazine test of the ZO6 featured that car on extremely competitive rubber. So competitive, in fact, that it was often singled out as a determining factor.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by FJF
We know this, how? I'm asking, because very major magazine test of the ZO6 featured that car on extremely competitive rubber. So competitive, in fact, that it was often singled out as a determining factor.
Those tires recently debated in the top 10 driver's cars were a new option for 2011. So i think it is safe to say they weren't on the cars in the stats above.

Quick Reply: Considering selling my Z06 to buy another EVO....