Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think Im Calling it Quits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at the end of the day. sit back analyze your setup find the weak link. replace it and chase your dream... i dont care what anyone says......but if you want something bad enough you should stride for it. things never come easily. but giving up shouldnt be the way you should do it.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the fun of building a car like this that is only good for going in a straight line really fast for a few seconds anyway? The Mustang is perfect for that, certainly isn't for much else. Definitely sounds like it's time to part out the car and sell it so it can be used in a proper venue.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Take a deep breath, you know you can and will do it!! Believe me anyone that races/tracks or beats his EVO or any plateform for that matter, knows how it feels to friggin just grenade ****!! Its part of the game, and we don't except failure, we learn from it, accept the risk and move on to conquer!!! If it doesnt kill you, it will make you stronger!! If it can't kill you, its not really a sport is it......LOL!!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Sell what you dont need from evo....park evo with happy new motor...wait till spring.
Drive/play with mustang get disappointed then.....pull out evo and love will be found again.

GL!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
part out
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I was on that same boat. GTR call it day and be happy.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
if you want to drag race maybe you should buy a drag car. Even David Buscher is tired of drag racing them and realizes they are better suited to road and autocross. I just don't get why people use one of the most nimble platforms on the road to go in a straight line.

^ This, truth.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
^^^ Seriously?
lol.

"you got to ... know when to fold 'em."

mustang = drag car, track car
evo = rally car, track car

don't rally a mustang. don't drag an evo. but do track them both.

seriously.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by basithi
i believe you can do it.......i mean wtf i ran a 10.8 stock block.....on a college students budget working my *** off for everything....we have a local car out here that just ran a 9.89 on slicks and if you want more info on his setup i can surely get it to you. just let me know...but i completely understand where your coming from.... dont just give up that easy....i can guarantee you can do 9's. i may not be as knowledgeable as you because you've obviously been through it all. but man cmon now. after all this giving up? just do me a favor and dont give up. that shouldnt be in your vocabulary. lighten your car up, get a amazing tuner, shep trans,shep tcase, put yourself on a diet, and i promise 9's are in your horizon.

I agree. you should list maybe just some of the things that went drastically wrong, what parts you used, how they got trashed, ect. I would figure by the 4th chassis and 10th motor lol you would have re enforced everything, short of coating every part in teflon lol. I can only assume you know of John Shephard and his work, I have heard amazing things from his trannys, diffs and t cases. obviously buschur is a legend around here as well, i can only assume 10 motors and 4 chassis werent all found in junkyards so you must have a decent income. (unless they all were from junkyards then maybe we can see why now lol jk) but yeah depending on what areas are failing on you, its tough to say since u just said they all blew. regaurdless, mustang or evo, things will go wrong if your not doing them correctly.

IMO i think you should be listing some of your trials and tribulations with the evo like what parts ur using, whats failing/blowing, and try to get some positive feedback on what to do and not to do, I am not saying your not an experienced mechanic but everyone needs help sometimes, and if your on the brink of calling it quits for good, after who knows how much time and money spent on the cars, i think you owe it to yourself and your evo to maybe diagnose what went wrong and the answer could be simpler than you think, and have you back on the road boosting again.

Not saying that you cant rock the stang for drag purposes, a chassis like that is dime a dozen and you can beat the hell out of it, ford parts are fairly cheap and extremely cheap compared to evos. Keep your evo off the strips, like many others have said, it does its best work in a rally setting on autocross course or just ripping up the highways and back roads, be easy on her, maybe she will thank you for it.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Start autocrossing, or doing track events.

Less $$ on parts and more on driving.
Did you just say it's cheaper to do autocross??

Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

This is the reason that most shops don't run drag evos anymore. It is cost prohibitive for a shop, much less for a private party (since you aren't using it for marketing purposes). I would say part it out or turn it into a track car instead of a straight line rocket. You can easily have a reliable 600-700 whp track car that will dominate cars that cost much much more at the track. At the end of the day if you are just looking to go in a straight line, it is much easier to use a different platform.

I can also tell you from personal experience, that road courses are much more rewarding then the drag strip. You can go and run your car hard all day and demolish cars at hpde's instead of only getting 10 seconds of joy and delight (mostly disappointment) from drag passes.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most Hated
its been a 4 years.4 evos. 10 motors. 7 turbo set ups. countless tcases. and a handful of transmissions.
People said this earlier in the thread but if that's not enough to make you quit, then keep going lol. Otherwise, there are plenty of people here that would be happy to buy parts if you were to part out your car
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I would've quit a looooooooonnnnnnnnggggg time ago.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would of called it quits after motor number 3...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

But you know an EVO is not just away to get into the 9's............... Its about the journey isn't it!!

Quick Reply: I think Im Calling it Quits