Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GEICO is dropping me for "unacceptable equipment"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GEICO is dropping me for "unacceptable equipment"

Exact definition:

Unacceptable Equipment - Brakes, Spoiler, Custom air intake, Engine modifications & custom wheels

merry freaking christmas. came home to this letter from them today.

a little back story - in June i was in an accident, while pulling out of a gas station across two lanes one lane stopped and not the other and i was hit in the drivers side fender. Insurance law automatically deemed it my fault because the person already in the road has the right of way. The hit took out the fender/headlight/ ACD pump and reservoir, and on the initial estimate GEICO refused to cover the ACD pump and reservoir because they deemed it AFTERMARKET. The shop i used was a dealer body shop, so of course they immediately called the parts department who brought up the factory part numbers etc, and it wound up being covered, and in the end added aout $3k to the repair bill (totalling $8k in repairs).

That said, i feel that is exactly what is going on here, as i do not have a heavily modded car (See sig, it is basic bolt ons), everything they list as unacceptable is in fact factory equipment, except the intake (perrin).

I am 25 years old, have two accidents on my record, the other was being rear ended and with a different insurance company, 1 speeding ticket and two 2 non moving violations, so not spotless but definitely no reason to be dropped.

Anyone have any insight on how to go about fighting this/proving it is all stock parts? I have a bad feeling this may be a case of being very difficult to reverse their decision. Anyone had this crap happen to them before?

(sorry for writing a book here...obviously pretty pissed)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be fuming out the ears. Good luck bro
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds weird to drop you because of modified equipment. Insurance companies are only responsible for replacing OEM parts that are stolen or damaged in a crash. They are not responsible for aftermarket parts unless you add them to your policy and pay more for the coverage.

So, them dropping you because of modified equipment doesn't sound right.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionIX219
I would be fuming out the ears. Good luck bro
oh trust me i am, i also forgot to mention i pay them for full up cover everything coverage on this car.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So they did cover that 8k accident? If that was in the past and they are dropping you now then just go with a different company? Someone who wants your business.

I have Geico and when I bought my evo and went there for coverage they told me upfront they wont cover aftermarket stuff when I told them what kind of car I was insuring.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

F GEICO... I have had the worst luck with those guys. Actually, I am surprised they covered it, to your satisfaction. I constantly see my co-workers getting the short end also.

I would just pick up a new Ins. co and move on. (and never go back) Might be a blessing anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:55 PM

I think it has less to do with what they think are aftermarket parts, and more to do with your accident. I've been dropped by state farm after getting into an accident and having my car totalled because I had a few tickets and an accident on my record. Deemed too much of a risk (they actually told me that in a letter).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I got dropped by Geico last week after 2 years. I have never made a claim, no tickets, or anything to change my rates. I paid my renewal 2 weeks ago, then got a notice my Evo wouldn't be covered due to excessive modifications. The letter stated that I am a premium customer but my car doesn't fit their plan to keep rates low.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stick with american family or state farm, the others are cheap for a reason. american family has been awesome to deal with in the past.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:42 PM

Yep same here..they covered my accident which was 12k repair and then got my letter saying they are dropping me cause I had a fender bender wit my other car..a Toyota echo..and if I wanted to keep them it would be 570..**** son they tripping if ima pay that..so I went with progressive..much better now
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

For some reason I don't find it to be a shock. I've actually researched about GEICO and their questionable practices which apparently are completely legal. The people whom have been dropped unexpectedly within this thread are definitely not alone and have just been plain screwed. What makes it worse is that even if you paid your insurance premium which may have been automatically deducted from your account they will still drop you at any given time and not refund you.

One horror story after another. Maybe it's time to switch.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:51 PM

Try Esurance.com, I go through them and pay way less than I did everywhere else. They don't care what you have done to your car.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9SecSLC
Try Esurance.com, I go through them and pay way less than I did everywhere else. They don't care what you have done to your car.
Esurance and 21st Century were both much cheaper. It seems that I end up switching companies every 2 years because someone is offering a better premium.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
So they did cover that 8k accident? If that was in the past and they are dropping you now then just go with a different company? Someone who wants your business.

I have Geico and when I bought my evo and went there for coverage they told me upfront they wont cover aftermarket stuff when I told them what kind of car I was insuring.
they covered the 8k in damages and 800 in rental car fees without a hitch. its just like WTF.

Originally Posted by 9SecSLC
esurance dropped me way back when, because i was going to school in a state in which they dont underwrite, and i now live/work there so thats not possible.

im gonna call and yell at them tomorrow and just find out if they wont insure evos in general or what.

so sounds like its state farm or progressive for everyone?

progressive is double what im paying now according to an online quote

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Dec 22, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steed77
F GEICO... I have had the worst luck with those guys. Actually, I am surprised they covered it, to your satisfaction. I constantly see my co-workers getting the short end also.

I would just pick up a new Ins. co and move on. (and never go back) Might be a blessing anyway.
^^^
This. F geico. Go with someone else. American family never dropped me or ever even asked questions when I made claims. The adjuster actually ended up getting the price to cover my deductible and my stock wheels were painted black and I hit a curb so I had to get a new one so they covered the price to paint it black also. I've had nothing but good with them.

Quick Reply: GEICO is dropping me for "unacceptable equipment"