Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starting problem, [update: ignition switch]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem, [update: ignition switch]

Ok so here is the deal. 2003 Evo 8. Turn the key and most of the time, nothing happens. I do not hear the fuel pump. The starter solenoid does not activate. If I keep trying eventually, it will start and I will be on my way. (usually takes anywhere from 5-30 min)

The starter has been replaced and it did not improve. I have had the new starter tested (at autoZone) and it tested good. Just for fun, while the starter was out of the car, I turned the key, and I could hear the fuel pump.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I am at my wits end. I have traced the entire starting system using the wiring diagrams I found here. I am comfortable with electrical systems, I am just not very experienced with cars.

Last edited by WRCturbo; Feb 15, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start at the starter wires and work your way back....make sure you have a solid ground for the starter (clean of any grease, dirt etc..). Trace the wires as far back as you can for any kinks or possible exposed wiring.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would also check the ignition switch aswell and make sure your getting power out when you turn the key.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:53 PM

ok so I checked the wiring and everything appears to be good (no hard kinks and the ribbed sleeve is still in tact all the way). I checked the ignition switch and using the Circuit Diagrams verified that I am getting 12 volts on the starter wire. I checked it again at the starter relay and still had 12 volts.

I did another test. With the the negative plug removed, the fuel pump turns on. also if i remove the starter but leave + and - connected the fuel pump will run unless the case of the starter makes contact with the frame. at no point does the starter turn on.

it seems like there is a wire grounded somewhere but I just cant find it. with the starter electrically disconnected, all points show the correct voltage. I am sure I am missing something.

Thanks for the replies so far by the way.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:23 PM

more info: if i jumper the starter it it turns strong so it is kind of looking like its not getting 12v from the normal path.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Check for voltage drop on the starter wires. Will tell you if the wires are good
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a buddy and a volt meter. Start checking voltages from the starter back to the ignition. Sounds like a bad relay to me. Sometimes they start sticking and cause intermittent problems.

Once the starter engages does the car start up?

Last edited by sr20det91; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

starter ground ok?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:02 PM

you guys are great thanks so much for the help. so taking all the advice here is where i stand now.

The problem seems to be at the ignition switch. I can jumper a wire from the battery to the wire (yellow and black) coming out of the harness on the ignition switch and the starter turns over and everything is gravy.

so the next question is how on earth to I troubleshoot the ignition switch?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRCturbo
you guys are great thanks so much for the help. so taking all the advice here is where i stand now.

The problem seems to be at the ignition switch. I can jumper a wire from the battery to the wire (yellow and black) coming out of the harness on the ignition switch and the starter turns over and everything is gravy.

so the next question is how on earth to I troubleshoot the ignition switch?
So color me dumb but it seems to me you found your problem. The contacts in the switch are done at least that's what it seems like from what you said. They used to go bad in old Fords I owned a long time ago, it was a lot easier to replace back then.

As to how to take it out I don't have a clue.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by shawn360h
i would also check the ignition switch aswell and make sure your getting power out when you turn the key.

Yea I think I found the problem. I went to the auto parts store and bought a push button so I can at least start the car for now. It definitely is the ignition switch. I pulled it out but it doesnt really seem to be serviceable. Has anyone had to do work on their ignition switch before? Also, should I need to replace it, does anyone know where I can find one and about how much they run. I really hate the dealers out here (since they "diagnosed" this problem and charged accordingly but didnt actually fix it) so if I can avoid going to them that would be great.

Last edited by WRCturbo; Feb 15, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: credit where credit is due
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is a link to mitsubishiparts.net

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=8

part number 7

pretty easy, change it and go
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
this is a link to mitsubishiparts.net

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=8

part number 7

pretty easy, change it and go
you are awesome. I did not know about this site so thanks for that too! No I have to decide if this push button start is starting to grow on me..
Old Sep 23, 2017, 05:14 PM

Ignition switch fails (fix)

Start off by cutting a small triangle out of a coke can and bend into the shape seen

Place the part into the electronic part of your switch as seen

Once completly inserted make sure it looks like the picture

After the part is placed back into the locking mech ,turn and see if there is any hangs or snags. If so you may have to trim but if there is none the you are good. Ive had mine like this for a year now and no problems
Old May 8, 2019, 02:49 PM

I did that tried it and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't seems like I have to find that surrtan sweet spot and its super hard to find it my finger hurts mabey the relay idk was thinking about taking it ti the dealer but they'll charge me a arm and a nut to fix probably so I'm gonna try wiring a push button to it one to the battery one to the starter solenoid or cut the start wire behind the switch and wire the push button to that do you know which wire behind the ignition switch is the one that I should wire it to

Quick Reply: Starting problem, [update: ignition switch]