Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

idle drops and car shakes with a/c +++, any help please..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle drops and car shakes with a/c +++, any help please..

hey everyone, im not sure if this is the right section, if not im sorry.

just to describe in details what my car is doing here you go...

sometimes my car doesnt sound right when i start it, and the cars idle will be really low and it feels like my whole car is shaking, and then it will go to normal and start to warm up. also if i am at a complete stop or low speed and turn my a/c on the car will start shaking and it feels like it wants to turn off on me but when im driving at around 40+ mph i can turn on the a/c and the car will run normal. idk this is just weird to me. i had to speed a little past a stoplight because the light turned yellow while i was in the middle of the intersection but then i had to slow down because of traffic and my car turned off. any ideas??

idk if this has to do with it but when i bought the car it has an alarm but the people did a sh****y job wiring it, and when the car feels like its running bad the alarm noise when i go to lock my door or open it, it will be really low, but today for some reason it was loud and normal and the car started fine and was running fine, but now one of my markers in my headlight is out, idk if this all has to do with one thing or more than one... im sure tomorrow it will start running bad again :/ i also smell fuel and i feel like its wasting a lot of gas latley, but not sure mabe it could be me just worrying...

any ideas on what all this could be from and how to fix it or what to do?

alternator?
bad wiring?
a/c belt?

those are the 3 things i thought could be a possible reason but i'm not sure, your help is appreciated!!

Thanks Mike
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you running a BOV or recirculated?

My car did everything you mentioned until I found and fixed the boost leaks and vacuum leaks. I'd start there.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check for the wiring in the kick panel driver side. corrosion
check for vaccum leaks
check battery voltage at idle should be 13v-14v when at idle and at a load.
any codes pending of check engine light
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SOunds like your battery is dying.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

thanks everyone i will try it today and check everything, when i bought the car awhile ago i found out he cut the check engine light so i will have to rewire that also -_-
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:29 PM

there is an idle kick-up switch in most ac systems that raises idle when you increase load on the engine, such as when the ac compressor turns on.

would check to see if the switch is outputting signal, or if there is an issue in the iac (idle air control) circuit.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

May need ISCV adjustment in the ecu, or the IAC itself is shot. Your symptoms in the beginning of OP and with A/C on really sounds like it.

Did you just recently purchase the car? Or did this issue just come up.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chansigril
there is an idle kick-up switch in most ac systems that raises idle when you increase load on the engine, such as when the ac compressor turns on.

would check to see if the switch is outputting signal, or if there is an issue in the iac (idle air control) circuit.
i k ow the idle is suppose to jump but not go down when i turn the a/c on, which is why im confused.

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
May need ISCV adjustment in the ecu, or the IAC itself is shot. Your symptoms in the beginning of OP and with A/C on really sounds like it.

Did you just recently purchase the car? Or did this issue just come up.

Thanks!! will check. and io purchased it about 4 months ago but since then i have got almost everything changed or fixed i even got a tune a couple weeks ago.

i checked the battery and alternator and they are both fine, it may be the idle sensor^ i am going to check that tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all your help i really appreciate it!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by smoOVE
i k ow the idle is suppose to jump but not go down when i turn the a/c on, which is why im confused.
the idle jumps because the system is compensating for the additional load; if this compensation does not happen, idle will drop instead. the ecu should then attempt to bring it back to the acceptable range, which can cause some unusual idle fluctuations.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle air control valve
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chansigril
the idle jumps because the system is compensating for the additional load; if this compensation does not happen, idle will drop instead. the ecu should then attempt to bring it back to the acceptable range, which can cause some unusual idle fluctuations.

you are right, makes perfect sense. thanks!

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
Idle air control valve
thanks!!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:47 AM

So how did you fix the problem?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'm assuming a new iac valve. You don't have to buy the oem $300 one if you don't want to. You can buy the iac from a sebring (parts cross-reference each other) for like $65 and it should fix it. For what its worth a lot of ppl use the sebring one and it works perfectly.