Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: When did you change your stock timing belt?
<55k miles
11.84%
55k to 65k miles
38.16%
>65k miles
14.47%
>75k miles
19.74%
>100k miles
15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Question On Evo's Timing Belt Mileage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question On Evo's Timing Belt Mileage

Are you still on your original timing belt, how many miles do you currently have? I am only asking those owners/driver who daily drive their evo and is still on their original timing belt that has a mileage greater than 60K miles.
Is there a rule of thumb as to how many miles we can squeezed in a timing belt compared to the recommended on the manual?
I know that timing belt is due for replacement at 60K miles maintenance. However, I am currently broke as i just spent my savings
on changing my rotors, pad and tires and other maintenance on the family van. I got 113K miles on my Van before I have the original timing belt replaced.
I think the van recommend to chnage it at 90K miles. My evo is daily drive. I just wanted to know the limit or highest mileage we can get out of
the stock timing belt (not that I am suggesting not to change your timing belt at 60K miles)...just curious..Thanks in advance to your reply...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed out my timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and other various timing belt items at 70k. I'm not too sure what the service ceiling is, but I didnt have much peace of mind driving it till I made the replacements.

I'd say if you're wanting to stretch it a bit on maintenance, at least give it a good visual inspection and look for cracks and abnormal wear.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really, not all timing belts are under the same change rate-- can you afford not too change the belt is the question. A few hundred for the belt components verses the same + valves, guides and head work... let me see.......
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

At the very least I would change just the belt, and in a few months when you recoup some more cash, replace the rest of the stuff. Like posted above, if you can't afford a timing belt, you surely won't be able to afford a head rebuild.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

@meckert...of course i will change soon, right now I am at 56K miles but if I hit 60K miles does not mean I will stop driving it. @bcrance13 thanks for the input. I know what you mean about peace of mind. Between my evo and the van, the van got the priority based on its history and mileage. So, right now the top mark is 70K .Thanks again
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Blue91lx...I also would like to ask if there are known original timing belt failure at or below 60K miles. I am talking about failure on stock evo daily drive.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
changed everything on mine at 59k
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
73k, original Tbelt. I have all the parts in my garage to do the maintenance - pullies, belts, water pump - just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it, or your next post will be a "build" thread.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I pushed it, and did my belt 3 months ago. I had 106K miles on my daily driven, lightly tuned (intake, exhaust, downpipe, cat, tune) Evo IX MR. Replaced the balance shaft belt and the timing belts with gates racing belts that I got off of E-bay.

Oh yeah, this is not bragging, this is just pure lazyness, and was lucky I got this far... I do not recomend anyone going this far.

That being said, the belts were in good condition with no fraying, and there was very little "powdered rubber" in the timing belt covers when I gook them off.

Last edited by hatesposers; Jun 28, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:43 PM

I am answering despite the query of over 60K users because I had already typed this all out...... see last sentence.
Inteference motors go "BOOM" when timing belts fail. All moving parts get real close and personal when a failure of the belt occurs.

I just dropped mine today at CBRD for the second belt swap and some other goodies.
To answer your query though - first done around 56K and this one in at 108K. It's more than insurance, and yes the tensioners, balance belt and pumps are all critical parts too that need replacing rather than testing longevity for sake of fate. Even if the belt holds, some other failure of an accessory component will leave you stranded and in the money hole all the same.

Good quesiton though - maybe add a pole to make for easy visible reference on this?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a side note... that yes these are interferance engines, (motors are electric) However, hydraulic tensioners rarely fail, and a bearing starts to make noise long before they go...

yes it's good practice to replace them all at the same time, as it's a pain in the *** to do the job 2xs because a bearing goes, but your engine is not going to explode if you put a good tensioner and bearing back on an engine with a new belt.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change it at the regular service interval, but inspect it for any premature wear/cracks. Change it early if you have to. It's not worth it to wait, will end up costing you more if it fails!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hatesposers
Just a side note... that yes these are interferance engines, (motors are electric) However, hydraulic tensioners rarely fail, and a bearing starts to make noise long before they go...

yes it's good practice to replace them all at the same time, as it's a pain in the *** to do the job 2xs because a bearing goes, but your engine is not going to explode if you put a good tensioner and bearing back on an engine with a new belt.
I'll agree to this. replacing the timing belt, at the minimum is better than not replacing anything at all. I personally have never seen a tensioner fail. bearings yes but you'll know when its about to go due to the annoying whine.

with that said, it would suck to do that work twice or even three times to replace the water pump if it goes, or a pulley. but doing just a timing and balancer belt is better than nothing.

I don't know if the previous owner ever did the service at 60k, bought the car with 67k. I'm at 87k now, but am ordering all the parts this weekend! it scares me to go this long if it is the original belt.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the same things replaced @ 104K. The timing belt looked bad but held on.
Originally Posted by bcrance13
I changed out my timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, and other various timing belt items at 70k. I'm not too sure what the service ceiling is, but I didnt have much peace of mind driving it till I made the replacements.

I'd say if you're wanting to stretch it a bit on maintenance, at least give it a good visual inspection and look for cracks and abnormal wear.

Quick Reply: Question On Evo's Timing Belt Mileage