Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo8 Strange Idle, WOT, de-cel afr..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo8 Strange Idle, WOT, de-cel afr..

Ok guys, I've had 3 Mechanics< COUGH look @ it with their opinion but since I live where everyone has a mustang.... Everyone saying nothings wrong....

That said.

UPDATED

IDLE: The car is at 14.2-3 Sometimes it will randomly jump up to 18.x or Drop to 12.x & almost die rpms drop to around 500 rpms I've noticed.

Fixed so far. one plug was fouled & it wasn't tightened all the way was leaking oil from around it. Now it holds a pretty constant afr of 14.3-14.5 Any suggestions on getting my Idle afr up & my normal driving fixed?

Driving: holding 13.9-14.5

De-Cel: Fixed

I've notice that the boost gauge has been stuck @ 0 sometimes. this is a Defi unit. If i blip the throttle @ idle it will finally hit vacuum @ drop to 18.x

This is all with the AC on MAX**
Mods are listed in cig. I've ordered a boost leak tester but I've already double checked all the vacuum lines im guessing a gasket? TB seal? The cars @ 99k mileage. Timing belt was change @ 80k.

Thanks for any info or things I should look for.

I should add non of these issues came til after the EGR delete. afr was 14.5-7 , WOT 3rd gear was 11.3-5s. I think Boost leak test & probably a better tune?

Last edited by kaonashi; Aug 3, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf 21 afr's? you must be kidding. your motors gonna blow running that lean man this isnt a simple boost leak problem. you have any lights or anything? misfiring? running that lean is asking for serious trouble
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodriver49
wtf 21 afr's? you must be kidding. your motors gonna blow running that lean man this isnt a simple boost leak problem. you have any lights or anything? misfiring? running that lean is asking for serious trouble
It only maxes out when you let off the gas while its in gear. this is normal from every car I've owned. No lights on dash, It doesnt sound like its misfiring I just changed the plugs the last oil change.

The point of why its still spraying fuel while on de-celeration is what i dont understand maybe injector leaking? or vacuum leak causing it to be rich?

Its actually not lean at all it was 10.5s until I re adjusted a/f in the ecu after the egr delete. I'm starting to think I should put the egr back on...?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Do this when you let off the accelerator and it stays rich put your foot behind the pedal and lift up...Does it go full lean like it should?? If so adjust the throttle cable behind valve cover.

You'll see 2 bolts holding it on an adjustment bracket. FSM outlines proper adjustment but you can adjust as desired if that is your issue.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Do this when you let off the accelerator and it stays rich put your foot behind the pedal and lift up...Does it go full lean like it should?? If so adjust the throttle cable behind valve cover.

You'll see 2 bolts holding it on an adjustment bracket. FSM outlines proper adjustment but you can adjust as desired if that is your issue.
I've actually done this today, I set the idle a little below 1k, still has strange lean/rich randomly. Although it made it more consistant instead of 14.1-14.3 @ idle it stayed 14.2-3 with very little change about every few seconds instead of about 20x a second. I'm thinking the TB seal might be bad...? only reason i think the idle @ afr could be off

to ad to the other post:

No this is at any gears any time , its random as to why I think it is a leak from the intake manifold?

cars boost cut is set @ max, cars running 25psi on 93 octane no knock counts, has a walbaro fuel pump. Think something do to with injectors? the car does have 99k on it.

I've been driving the car very slow so that it doesnt go out on me, until I get this worked out. I tought I found the leak the mbc had a oring that was torn, but that didn't fix the issue. The fact that its going crazy @ idle is what give it away. it shouldn't jump to 18x. or drop to 12 while @ idle it makes no sense.

Last edited by kaonashi; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Tried lifting the pedal it didnt change anything so i dont think its the throttle cable. Could the exhaust manifold gasket cause it to run like this?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like how my car reacts running on two cylinders .

What's the vacuum at idle?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Sounds like how my car reacts running on two cylinders .

What's the vacuum at idle?
18-20ish depending on what the a/f is showing it is def spraying more fuel with less vacuum.

I did reset the throttle cable bracket completely. It's Idle is very weak I think I'm going to try some different plugs, The De-Acceleration was fixed by loosening up the bracket. It goes to 21.8 < on de-cel like normal so the throttle was basically stuck opened a little...

But I still get the random rich or lean spurts for a few seconds I can feel the cars power reduced when it goes rich very badly the car just feel like it fell flat. Maybe plugs are causing timing issues? would explain the crazy idle i guess?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Updated. cyl 4 plug was leaking oil from around the sides. Replaced with all new plugs & torqued to specs & no more random idle jumping. Just need to fix the rich idle.