Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whining.. not transfer case

Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whining.. not transfer case

on 7/21/12 i got a used transfer case from ER. before that my var was making this whining noise that sounded like it could have been the transfer case. I took my car in 6/2012 to get a tune up and all that n they told my i needed to get my transfer case rebuilt so i waited a month then got it done (7/21/12). on my way back from there, it was still making the whining noise.. could this be my differential going out or what are my other options. ive done my research and that it was i came up with this possibly being the problem. I dont have a lot of money since im moving. My car has 93k on it and I dont kno if the differential has ever been replaced. Help me out its driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

I will try to post a video of the noise. it happens when im in 4th gear and up, 35+ mph
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by breeze17
on 7/21/12 i got a used transfer case from ER. before that my var was making this whining noise that sounded like it could have been the transfer case. I took my car in 6/2012 to get a tune up and all that n they told my i needed to get my transfer case rebuilt so i waited a month then got it done (7/21/12). on my way back from there, it was still making the whining noise.. could this be my differential going out or what are my other options. ive done my research and that it was i came up with this possibly being the problem. I dont have a lot of money since im moving. My car has 93k on it and I dont kno if the differential has ever been replaced. Help me out its driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

I will try to post a video of the noise. it happens when im in 4th gear and up, 35+ mph
Who did you get it rebuilt by?,what kind of oil was used after they rebuilt it? and did they replace the bearings? furthermore did you break it in properly. When the whining noise occurs its usually not the rear diff in most cases. My best advice to you would be to put the car on a lift and let it run while you inspect it from underneath just to be sure.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
For the record.... your stock TC will still whine, or rebuilt one. I think (for me at least) you are super **** about it because you just had one blow, so when you get a new one you listen really closesly and still has a slight whine, and you freak out a little.... that's my experience.

I have a shep stg2

ps... was it the exact same noise at the same level?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:03 AM

yes it is the almost exact same noise!! maybe ur right.. maybe I am bein **** about it but with everything that goes wrong with these card u kind of have to b
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeaa you're probably just listening for it so it sounds more prominent. My tcase is fine, but my car still has a bit of whine at upper speeds. I think it's just the awd system. I've been in other evos and heard the exact same whine I hear in mine. Definitely not the death whine.

tl;dr: no need to worry, it's just because racecar.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:03 PM

Wheel bearing perhaps?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by R. Burgundy
Yeaa you're probably just listening for it so it sounds more prominent. My tcase is fine, but my car still has a bit of whine at upper speeds. I think it's just the awd system. I've been in other evos and heard the exact same whine I hear in mine. Definitely not the death whine.

tl;dr: no need to worry, it's just because racecar.

I laughed for like 5 minutes straight! Thanks for that! OP, my T-Case is in pretty good condition. I bought it used, inspected the gears for wear before installation, and use OEM fluid changed every 3,500-4,000 miles because I'm paranoid. STILL whines slightly on the highway. I wouldn't worry about it. Worrying about random whines and noises is just part of owning an evo lol