Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

p0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" circuit (B1) ?

Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" circuit (B1) ?

So i installed GSC s3's in my Evo 9. After the install idled great, drove great, timing is good ect... when i went to get it remote tuned the car would fuel cut in anything under 3,500 RPM WOT then just hall ***. A/F are fine, Boost , ect..

So it fuel cut under 3,500 rpm i thought maybe the spark plugs are going and bought new ones. Well that was not the problem it did it again still fuel cut for a spit second anything under 3,500 RPM. My CEL came on and read the code listed in title "p0340"

I took it too the track to day first pass was nice went 11.2 @ 112 MPH "let off" The pass felt great. Second pass it felt great then when i got into 3rd gear a/f dropped down to 10.3 and felt like i lost 200hp or somthing aka ran a 13.5 LOL. I pull over after it is now idling at like 500RPM with a 0 vac at idle and it hard to even get it to start. when i drove above 3k a/f 14.7 ish, vac -10 / -14 AKA normal but would EAT GAS

WHEN I GO TO DRIVE IT NOW IT MISFIRES UNDER 3K but if im above 3k it drives normal but is eating gas 2x's quicker then normally and my friend following me said on top of the gun shot nosies it was making it was shooting huge flames

I replaced the Exhaust side Camshaft angle sensor no luck in fixing this problem. Now the evo 9 has a Mi-vec camshaft senser didnt replace that yet...

So back tracking. The car on STOCK CAMS worked perfect. Now with the s3's installed started with a fuel cut under 3.5k to now not drivable till over 3k. so after the tracked i really KOed something. any ideas of what might of been done wrong?

Does the Mi-vec camshaft trigger plate need to be timed? i no the exhaust camshaft trigger plate need to set correct but the intake camshaft trigger plate looks the same all around

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Sep 22, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
dont worry we will figure it out. but asking for second opinions never hurts when trouble shooting issues we will boost leak test the car, and check timing and the position on the trigger plates that are connected to the end of the cams.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

bump anyone?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just swapped cams on my IX. The position of the Exhaust CAS seems pretty easy to spot - at TDC the "large vane" should point down and to the right at a 45* angle, assuming you're looking directly into that end of the cam. The intake side seems much less obvious, to the point that I don't know if it has a true "correct position." I made sure both cams were oriented the same and that I put the sensor on the new cam exactly how I pulled it off the old one, but on a quick glance, I didn't see anything to indicate which way it should go. If nothing else, it should be easy to pull it off, flip it 180*, bolt it back up and take the car for a spin to see if the problem and the DTC disappear.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddRhodes
I just swapped cams on my IX. The position of the Exhaust CAS seems pretty easy to spot - at TDC the "large vane" should point down and to the right at a 45* angle, assuming you're looking directly into that end of the cam. The intake side seems much less obvious, to the point that I don't know if it has a true "correct position." I made sure both cams were oriented the same and that I put the sensor on the new cam exactly how I pulled it off the old one, but on a quick glance, I didn't see anything to indicate which way it should go. If nothing else, it should be easy to pull it off, flip it 180*, bolt it back up and take the car for a spin to see if the problem and the DTC disappear.
i did the install, so i know the exhaust vane thats bigger is at the bottom. the mivec camshaft end though looks like it cant be done wrong.. it looks evenly vaned across so i dont think that can be done wrong, but we will 100% double check that today via the manual.

i will update with a fix so it helps others if they run into this issue.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Also we did a commpression test, all Cylinders were with in 2 PSI Of each other we also did a leak down test all cylinders were leaking about 2% but that's like nothing IMO.

We did a boost leak test the throttle seals are shot very had. I'm replacing with the Mil-Spec 65mm throttle body, there was also a boost leak were the UICP and throttle meet T-Bolt wasn't holding but we fixed that leak.

We swaped Camshaft angle sensors from Toms car to mine. His car ran fine on my senser. My CEL say the intake senser is bad and Tom doesn't have that due to being a Evo 8.

So the car is still not fixed and is still idle n misfiring under 3,000 RPM. We're ordering the Camshaft (B1) senser this week due to the CEL say that is the problem and Tom doesn't have that senser on his car. Will keep updating

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on this ? I got the same code that came up I thought it was the plugs as well so I'll be changing that today but it seems like that won't solve this problem. I been witnessing the same problem that the car won't go past 4k with out breaking up. Sounds like a 2 step
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMEVOLEX
Any updates on this ? I got the same code that came up I thought it was the plugs as well so I'll be changing that today but it seems like that won't solve this problem. I been witnessing the same problem that the car won't go past 4k with out breaking up. Sounds like a 2 step
Nope, I have the new camshaft angle sensor "intake one" coming in. Will be putting it in friday or saturday. Yea it sounds like 2 step under 3.5-4k for me also. Above that it doesn't misfire ill keep you posted.

FYI i changed my plugs and it did no good.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: I replaced the sensor. The CEL does not come on anymore, but it still idles at 500 RPM and is at 0 Vacuum in idle still. Gas is still delayed. I have NO CLUE what is causing this problem WTF!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:23 PM

Did u reflash the computer by any chance ?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMEVOLEX
Did u reflash the computer by any chance ?
Yea I did.. No luck disconnected the battary n everything
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
ecu has to relearn once the battery is disconnected. Just let it idle and see if it smooths out
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
ecu has to relearn once the battery is disconnected. Just let it idle and see if it smooths out
Did that also idle for 25mins atleast n drove around the block
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:00 PM

do you have a video of what your car is doing? this happened to me tonight and code was for camshaft sensor bank 1. car cranks and turns over but doesnt start. i can tap the **** out of the gas peddle and itll turn and then just dies. im gonna try and replace my cam sensor tomorrow morning and see how it goes. car just died out of the blue and thats the code that popped up so im hoping its as simple as that.