Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Zero compression after one month of being garaged!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero compression after one month of being garaged!

I went overseas for vacation and left my car in the garage. When i came back the battery was dead and jump start it. it would crank but no start. I know i had really worn plugs before i left so i replaced them and gave it a start. It started up smoothly up to 3000 rpm and died smoothly. No clunking noise, no banging, no sound of anything being blown. I had fuel, spark but no compression. I did compression test and weird thing is all 4 cylinders has ZERO compression. I asked older techs and had to advice of adding little oil to cylinder and test again. still ZERO compression. I took the valve cover off and nothing was damaged. Checked timing and the timing belt felt slightly loose. Replaced the belt and tensioner. Got everything timed and tested again. Still ZERO compression all 4 cylinder... i feel air coming from the cylinders really noticeably but gauge shows no compression. I went out bought a new gauge to make sure my old gauge wasn't broken, Same thing... now i am fairly lost on why am i getting no compression. Injector seal is good. When i did leak down test at TDC. It was showing 30% leakage average all 4 cylinders... any advice? when i did cylinder leak down test i felt air in the neighboring spark plug holes...i have a gut feeling that it could be a blown head gasket between the cylinders but that's that hefty job. I don't see how the gasket would be blown all of the sudden...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:39 PM

was cam timing spot on before you took the belt off? did it slip a few teeth sending some valves into pistons.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

the timing did jumped 1-2 tooth now after consulting the technical...im assuming its the valved...i did leak down on all 4 cylinder on tdc and getting air coming out the intake manifold with throttle open and could hear air coming out the tailpipe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2 teeth could be 6 degrees. Sorry man.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

with bent valves in all cylinder, wouldn't there be a lot of abnormal noise? i got everything put back..the engine is cranking normally with no abnormal sound but just no start and no compression
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When you went on vacation did you take the car keys with you?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
When you went on vacation did you take the car keys with you?
Unfortunately that thought crossed my mind too.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You kept the crank timing mark at TDC when testing all the cylinders? If not, disregard. If so, test it again with each cylinder you're testing on the compression stroke, right before TDC.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

My first guess is that someone drove your car while you were on vacation. Otherwise, I've never heard of the issue you are having arising from out of nothing.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J8dailo
with bent valves in all cylinder, wouldn't there be a lot of abnormal noise? i got everything put back..the engine is cranking normally with no abnormal sound but just no start and no compression
If the vavles hit the piston enough to bend themselve there will be marks on the piston. Could you borrow a camera from your local autopart store?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

ahh what?

It started up smoothly up to 3000 rpm and died smoothly

Have somebody else do the compression test.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:21 AM

if it started up and ran, you had compression.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:14 PM

I went overseas for vacation and left my car in the garage. When i came back the battery was dead and jump start it. it would crank but no start. I know i had really worn plugs before i left so i replaced them and gave it a start. It started up smoothly up to 3000 rpm and died smoothly. No clunking noise, no banging, no sound of anything being blown. I had fuel, spark but no compression. I did compression test and weird thing is all 4 cylinders has ZERO compression. I asked older techs and had to advice of adding little oil to cylinder and test again. still ZERO compression. I took the valve cover off and nothing was damaged. Checked timing and the timing belt felt slightly loose. Replaced the belt and tensioner. Got everything timed and tested again. Still ZERO compression all 4 cylinder... i feel air coming from the cylinders really noticeably but gauge shows no compression. I went out bought a new gauge to make sure my old gauge wasn't broken, Same thing... now i am fairly lost on why am i getting no compression. Injector seal is good. When i did leak down test at TDC. It was showing 30% leakage average all 4 cylinders... any advice? when i did cylinder leak down test i felt air in the neighboring spark plug holes...i have a gut feeling that it could be a blown head gasket between the cylinders but that's that hefty job. I don't see how the gasket would be blown all of the sudden...

That is mechanically impossible. Do you have siblings or friends you think might have taken it for a joy ride?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did u figure out what the problem was? This story got me interested.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
subscribed for results...interesting...

Quick Reply: Zero compression after one month of being garaged!