evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search


Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Garage is empty, add now
 
deylag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 760

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

Rear Tubular Subframe (who has one?)

So I was looking at one of the most incredible time attack Evos: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-sho...ttack-evo.html and I noticed it had a tubular rear subframe.

So I looked it up and its an actual part that anyone can purchase for their Evo 4-9.

On ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi...item4167797198

More info on their website:
http://www.momentummotorsport.co.uk/products.html

I was wondering if anyone has purchased this item. It does save about 40 lbs and uses oem mounting points.
Online
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (27)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
evo8426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 3,645

Drives: WW Evolution IX MR and Overland Grand Cherokee

Buschur has a mustache bar that is fairly similar.
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...236e598456bbaa
__________________
Stock turbo - SD
375whp/359tq - 93 (old)
401whp/392tq - E85 (old)

410whp/385tq - E85 (new)
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)
Garage is empty, add now
 
evocanival's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Middletown N.Y.
Posts: 320

Drives: 25' Coast Guard Boat, Evo VIII

Send a message via AIM to evocanival
http://www.momentummotorsport.co.uk/products.html. They have alot of interesting products in there website. Nice find
__________________
My daily driver is a 1650 horsepower U.S. Coast Guard Response Boat Medium with 2 big guns and 2 small ones!
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Mitsubishiboy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 14

Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi evo 9 MR

Another option for a rear subframe for an evo is Magnus Motorsports Lightweight Chromemoly rear subframe for EVO 7 – 9 CT9A

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...-evo-7-9-ct9a/
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Garage is empty, add now
 
deylag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 760

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

This is a great find. Most of the other places that offer these tubular subframes dont specify how much weight their subframe will save over OEM.

Magnus claims a weight savings of 35lbs versus OEM and a lot of other specs I was interested in.

It seems that there are a lot of shops in other countries that offer tubular subframes but none in the U.S. Why?

Last edited by deylag; Mar 1, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Online
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 127

Drives: Evo VIII

If i had to guess i would say cuz here in the US there are more Drag racers then road track evos. The one subframe with all the different suspension mounting points is surely geared towards the road racing. that thing looks awesome.

Dont get me wrong, there are alot of track evos here too. just saying i think the US market focuses more on drag racing and you can get by with a stock subframe. sure weight savings are nice in either discipline though
__________________
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII (Mad Cow) - 480AWhp GT35 @22psi - 92pump
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII (Rotten Banana) - Sold
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 6G75TT (Black Op - TA Track Car)
1996 Dodge Avenger ES 6G73 (The Daily)
1999 Dodge Avenger ES 6G72 (Turbo Ninja) - RIP/Parted
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now
 
CDHoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 164

Drives: Silver EvoIX SE BR350 #19

The Magnus one looked pretty sweet until I saw the $2195 price tag lol
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Garage is empty, add now
 
deylag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 760

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

I have found another shop that makes tubular subframes. I noticed a couple of posts about them in other topics. They are called Racefab and they are located in New Zealand. This one is a little cheaper but I wonder what the shipping would cost and how it would fit.

Here is their link: http://www.racefab.co.nz/

Tough to decide where to get a tubular subframe. I wish there was a shop in the U.S. that made them.
Online
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Mitsubishiboy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 14

Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi evo 9 MR

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898 View Post
If i had to guess i would say cuz here in the US there are more Drag racers then road track evos. The one subframe with all the different suspension mounting points is surely geared towards the road racing. that thing looks awesome.

Dont get me wrong, there are alot of track evos here too. just saying i think the US market focuses more on drag racing and you can get by with a stock subframe. sure weight savings are nice in either discipline though
The magnus motorsports rear sub-frame is also great for drag racing, and reinforcing your rear end so you don't launch your diff out of the back of your car or snap your axles. But i also think that the car tuning culture here in the united states is much more aesthetically driven, and the need, or even knowledge of, a tubular subframe is often over looked, at least for the everyday tuner.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Newbie
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
Mitsubishiboy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 14

Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi evo 9 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by deylag View Post
So I was looking at one of the most incredible time attack Evos: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-sho...ttack-evo.html and I noticed it had a tubular rear subframe.

So I looked it up and its an actual part that anyone can purchase for their Evo 4-9.

On ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi...item4167797198

More info on their website:
http://www.momentummotorsport.co.uk/products.html

I was wondering if anyone has purchased this item. It does save about 40 lbs and uses oem mounting points.
I was wondering if anyone has purchased this item. It does save about 40 lbs and uses oem mounting points.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at the front sub-frame from this same manufacture, and was in favor of the option to choose " revised geometry points" for the suspension linkage. This option greatly increases the amount of " rake and castor angles" and lends itself greatly to road racing. I was wondering if any other companies sold a front sub-frame for the evo.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (10)
Garage is empty, add now
 
luis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lob Angeles
Posts: 298

Drives: a hard bargain.

@tonybromo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHoff View Post
The Magnus one looked pretty sweet until I saw the $2195 price tag lol
lol, thats what i was thinking
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Garage is empty, add now
 
deylag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 760

Drives: 05 WW Evo VIII RS, 1996 INFINITI I30 (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubishiboy96 View Post

The magnus motorsports rear sub-frame is also great for drag racing, and reinforcing your rear end so you don't launch your diff out of the back of your car or snap your axles. But i also think that the car tuning culture here in the united states is much more aesthetically driven, and the need, or even knowledge of, a tubular subframe is often over looked, at least for the everyday tuner.
Personally I know a number of Evo drivers that tune their entire Evo for the purposes of competition use. However, I will agree with you that the majority of Evo owners will only focus on four things: engine, coilovers, exhaust, and wheels. I would hypothesize, that in the show circuit having an aesthetic modification that separates you from the crowd is key. A Tubular Sub-frame to me is not only a performance advantage but also aesthetic advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsubishiboy96 View Post
I was looking at the front sub-frame from this same manufacture, and was in favor of the option to choose " revised geometry points" for the suspension linkage. This option greatly increases the amount of " rake and castor angles" and lends itself greatly to road racing. I was wondering if any other companies sold a front sub-frame for the evo.
Most of the shops I mentioned sell and have the ability to produce tubular front subrames. I just need some tangible data. A comparison of OEM vs tubular. Like How much more adjustable is the caster? If used with adjustable Lower Control Arms how much wider is the track? Most of the descriptions are vague or only talk about weight savings.
Online
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (17)
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 542

Drives: 2006 Evo SE

Lighter subframe throws you straight into SCCA Prepared for Solo. You won't see many people who AutoX use these.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:56 AM   #14
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now
 
blowngasket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: chicago
Posts: 544

Drives: 2006 Lancer Evo IX, 84 Camaro 408CI 300 Shot NoS

Teabagmcginty
im a big fan of tubular framing, the weight savings, the added rigity to the frame and suspention little things add up and help. Our shop drag camaro has a FULL tubalr frame, k-member,a arms, everything and it was the best thing we added to it. We saved 210lbs and added stregnth to a otherwise weak chassis. it now goes in a stright line down the 1/4mile!

Plus the K-member looks WAY better then the oem crap
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (18)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
 
TommiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,058

Drives: 2005 Evo VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollij View Post
Lighter subframe throws you straight into SCCA Prepared for Solo. You won't see many people who AutoX use these.
ya but it seems like even going wider than a 245 tire will pretty much put you in prepared anyhow.
Online
 
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:08 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 









All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Passwords