Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bored today to I made a ashtray gauge pod

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 08:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxman
That doesn't have to be the point of it, esp if you have a peak function. Or just don't suck and have analog/color coding
Did you actually just say the point of a gauge doesn't have to be to look at it?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Did you actually just say the point of a gauge doesn't have to be to look at it?
No. I'm saying you don't have to stare at it to figure out what it is telling you
Old Dec 5, 2016, 06:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Laxman
No. I'm saying you don't have to stare at it to figure out what it is telling you
No kidding, but if you have a gauge because you need it (not for looks) then you need to be able to monitor it, which is the point. It's really hard to look all the way down, by the shifter, to read it (especially with a helmet on).
I'm speaking from more of a "I race my car and want to make sure I don't kill it" perspective, not so much "I want gauges in my car because they are cool".
That is why I said I found it pointless, not you will find it pointless.

:cheers:
Old Dec 5, 2016, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
No kidding, but if you have a gauge because you need it (not for looks) then you need to be able to monitor it, which is the point. It's really hard to look all the way down, by the shifter, to read it (especially with a helmet on).
I'm speaking from more of a "I race my car and want to make sure I don't kill it" perspective, not so much "I want gauges in my car because they are cool".
That is why I said I found it pointless, not you will find it pointless.

:cheers:
I totally agree with Kaj! I have so many people install gauges in a place I can't see them when I'm doing pulls. Granted I'm logging with a laptop, but it would be nice to see what's going on real time.

I subscribed to this thread awhile back because this pod is unique and I considered getting one. What I'm finding out now is that my gauges mounted on the dash is pretty unique as most install their gauges out of the line of sight.

Just think about what and why and you can't go wrong with gauge location. I highly recommend using some tape for a temp placement of your gauges and try driving around and seeing where you like them best. GL.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 05:14 PM
kaj

Since this thread is really old, I don't mind continuing to be off topic, so:

Here's where mine are. An Autometer bezel fit in there PERFECTLY and his held in place by the HVAC cover panel. I'd put them higher, if I could. If i had no A/C or heat, they would be were the vents are LOL. The orange needles help and my brain already knows where they "should be", so it only take a glance while on any particular straight. I thought about angling them so my desired readings would be straight up, but I found this arrangement to suffice.
It's not pretty, but it works. If anyone wants to look down to their ashtray at 100+mph.... feel free. I call dibs on the part out

Old Dec 6, 2016, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
I totally agree with Kaj! I have so many people install gauges in a place I can't see them when I'm doing pulls. Granted I'm logging with a laptop, but it would be nice to see what's going on real time.

I subscribed to this thread awhile back because this pod is unique and I considered getting one. What I'm finding out now is that my gauges mounted on the dash is pretty unique as most install their gauges out of the line of sight.

Just think about what and why and you can't go wrong with gauge location. I highly recommend using some tape for a temp placement of your gauges and try driving around and seeing where you like them best. GL.
In aviation, with analog gauges you can color code the arc. Meaning you can set red tape/coloring to where your red line starts so when you avert your eyes to see your gauge, you don't have to waste the time figuring out what number it actually reads versus everything is good or FUBAR. It's all about time management of your scan
Old Dec 7, 2016, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 6 AEM Gauges. All but 2 are digital. The digital ones make it real easy to see while driving. If the other 2 were available digital, I would have gotten them that way too.

Last edited by NJ9MR; Dec 7, 2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Edited.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:16 PM
kaj

I think the only gauge anyone actually reads is wideband. A glance to notice needle position is all you need, assuming you are slightly familiar with them.
I could draw a picture, right now, of where my needles are during normal operation, but couldn't tell you the exact numbers LOL. If they are above or below, I'll know instantly.
Still takes too long to do that if it's by the shifter.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
price shipped to 94080?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge pod

Old Jan 12, 2017, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

The OP hasn't responded in forever, I'd forget about this...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I actually asked him to make one a couple months ago. Great fit and good quality but he has been pretty busy because I asked him to make me another one just in case and no contact since.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If you want to send me dimensions of it I can re-model it so that anyone could create their own
Old Mar 5, 2017, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I get the ash tray gauge pod?

I know this is an old post but I can't find these anywhere.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Bored today to I made a ashtray gauge pod