Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX RS race car - Help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
IX RS race car - Help me understand...

Serious race car. I am not mechanically inclined, but could use some help here. Says it's $40,000 investment on top of $40,000 purchase price of car.. WOW!

2.2 4G63 shortblock ($5500)
surfaced block deck
torque plate bore & hone
ARP main studs
complete crank, rods, piston balancing
ACL racing bearings coated
billet 94mm lightweight crankshaft
CP custom spec pistons
Brian Crower rod upgrade with ARP custom age 625+ rod bolts
Custom ARP 5/8 headstuds upgrade
bore out block, head gasket and cylinder head for above 5/8 headstuds
GSC Power-Division 4g63T Titanium Beehive Spring upgrade with 4340 Chro-moly seat
Tuning Technologies EVO IX Stage V racing cylinder head ($2650)
supertech 1mm oversized inconel exhaust valves
supertech 1mm oversized stainless steel intake valves
Managanese bronze valve guides
oil pump blue printed and balanced
balance shaft elminator kit
spark tech basic with COP with CDI
EVO adjust FPR kit
AMS fuel rail race version
AMS wetsump oil pan
Kelford EVO IX 9177-C
Accusump

Top stage shep tranny
Top stage shep diff

Full Cage - 2850lbs
650awhp capable

Last edited by Driv200; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help you understand what?

are you trying to purchase a evo 9 thats been made into a race car?

or are you trying to buy an evo 9 and then do all the mods listed?

either way $80,000 is a **** ton of money and also 3850lbs that thing would be one heavy son of a bltch. does it have lead wheels and 24ct gold hood/trunk?

there was a guy on here a few months back with the lightest evo 8-9 autocross car selling for around $50,000 if you were planning on building a race car and had a huge budget then thats where i would start looking.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Edit. 2850 pounds. Thanks!

Buying race EVO with mods done.

I was impressed with this list of mods and wanted to start a dialog with forum members who have experience building race motors. I am trying to learn up on builds.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest posting up in the Motorsports section as there are a lot of us that have built race cars from mild to wild...

The question to ask is what do you want to do with it? If it's for road racing (Time Attack or wheel to wheel) then you need figure what class you want to run in...as the car sits now you'd likely be in an unlimited class running against many well-funded Teams with lots of cash...

If it's for drag racing then I don't have a clue...

You can get a well-sorted fully caged turn-key race Evo for under $30,000 and race in NASA or SCCA and have a blast...personally, I don't see the need for a 650 hp road race car...pretty easy to poke your eye out with some like that
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's pretty easy to blow through $40k (plus cost of car) when building your own. That's one thing to consider. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy turnkey... but there's always the risk of not knowing what you're getting yourself into.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I will definitely take this to motor section.

Here is what I want to do:
I have been driving tracks for over 20 years. Mostly with the Porsche Club doing DE's between club races. I have had several different cars all with mods. This time, rather than having that garage queen I take to the track, I decided to find a track car that might also qualify for the street. Most us have nice street cars on the verge of track day cars.....but I want the next step. A dedicated track car that also could be entered in a car show and fit in. Some race cars you can eat off of and that's what I am looking for. FOUND IT! It needs some cleaning and some TLC, but it's got the race motor, gutted interior, full cage, and safety additions making it a NASA ST2 class competitor. I called my local NASA director and started steps to do Time Attack!!! Already plan on auto-X events with PCA & BMW.

What I just learned:
Finding the track car meets my needs for what I want to do competitively, but it limits my grocery runs and taking the kids to their games etc......I still love the late night cruise and roll-ons with fellow enthusiasts. I want to do the weekend trips or day trips with the car club. I have had lots of fun with 6pt belts and race seats which the general public is easily impressed with. I think it adds another level of fun too. This is easier done when it's a 3rd car.

The Verdict:
The engine build and a well sorted car is the most important. I can soften the springs and add rear seats...maybe? I have always said, "Drive a race car on the street" is my preference. This time, it really will be a race car, albeit one I hope I can make really nice inside with all the bare metal and exposed shifter etc.....

My 2 cents. If I weren't a track ***** chasing down (leading) all my PCA, BMW, Z06, & GT-R buddies, I would be just fine in a pristine street car with all the goodies. However, at my level of experience, the proven race set up and longevity specs are a whole lot more expensive than the occasional weekend boost. I think this car really had an open check book build with all the best internals and parts. I would post pics, but I don't have it yet. The cost is something only a race car guy would want, making this a big investment for an EVO. And with all that said, the market is full of great EVO street cars with 500+ whp fun................and easier to live with.

Last edited by Driv200; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may not agree with the purchase but you sound really excited about it. I wish you luck man, have fun!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

You can get a well-sorted fully caged turn-key race Evo for under $30,000 and race in NASA or SCCA and have a blast...personally, I don't see the need for a 650 hp road race car...pretty easy to poke your eye out with some like that [/QUOTE]

Ha! I agree. This car is capped at 450whp on purpose for longevity. More is there with twist of the MBC. Cars today such as Z06's, GT-R's, Vipers and even mustangs and camaro's are all pushing 600 crank hp. The EVO that once was is nearing it's reign........
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

The Verdict:
The engine build and a well sorted car is the most important. I can soften the springs and add rear seats...maybe? I have always said, "Drive a race car on the street" is my preference. This time, it really will be a race car, albeit one I hope I can make really nice inside with all the bare metal and exposed shifter etc....
Driving a race car on the street is the holy grail, but as you've figured out it really doesn't exist...in the end you compromise safety on the track which is the last thing you want to do...

I certainly get the "eat off the floor" part of how you want you car to look. Some Porsche Cup cars that I have been around are maintained to the hilt and look like they just came off the showroom floor!

I'm excited for your adventure! You seem to have things well thought out
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$40,000 on mods seem reasonable, but $40,000 on the car alone!!! Did Elvis Presley drive this car? Or are we talking about the car that somebody was selling for $75,000 on autotrader. JK!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Driv200
I will definitely take this to motor section.

Here is what I want to do:
I have been driving tracks for over 20 years. Mostly with the Porsche Club doing DE's between club races. I have had several different cars all with mods. This time, rather than having that garage queen I take to the track, I decided to find a track car that might also qualify for the street. Most us have nice street cars on the verge of track day cars.....but I want the next step. A dedicated track car that also could be entered in a car show and fit in. Some race cars you can eat off of and that's what I am looking for. FOUND IT! It needs some cleaning and some TLC, but it's got the race motor, gutted interior, full cage, and safety additions making it a NASA ST2 class competitor. I called my local NASA director and started steps to do Time Attack!!! Already plan on auto-X events with PCA & BMW.
When you say time attack do you mean like HPDE 3 or 4 in nasa ? or something more along the lines of global time attack?

A time attack car is all about the fastest lap where as a Wheel to Wheel car is about consistency and reliability.

IMHO there is no way to have a street going race car and it work in both. Unless you are in like a street class. There a practical safety things that don't work outside the track that would be unsafe on the street. If it has a fullcage you will have obstructions when driving. Harness in a car without HAN'S in a crash can lead to very bad things. You don't get that slack and slower deceleration of a 3 point air bag combo. also padding on rollcage is for helmet contact not skull. Just some things to think about.

as far as a car goes the evo is an awesome platform. There are many AWD records set by them.