Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

another exhaust decision thread. ti or aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another exhaust decision thread. ti or aluminum?

Looking for a lightweight exhaust that is really light and free flowing but I would like to quiet it down when I need to with a scilencer for tooling around town. What are the pros and cons of a Ti cat-back vs. an Aluminum cat-back? ie corrosion, noise, look after heating it up etc....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost, cost, cost. They also have different sounds, Ti is more raspy and high pitched, Aluminum sounds more deep and throaty. From the systems I've seen personally anyways.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:35 PM
Tri

I personally like the sound of titanium. Only con is the price.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:59 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't take my word for it, but I don't think aluminum exhaust will take extended periods of heat, like for DD. The only alum one I've ever seen is on an autox Evo that never gets driven, and only towed.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I've also only ever seen aluminum exhaust on race cars, it cracks easily. Unless this is a gutted caged track car you would be better off spending you money on other things than a titanium exhaust, exhaust is low so the weight is also low so this is about the most worthless place to save weight on any car.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

In my case I have found the last 2 posts to be a misnomer.

Properly designed systems will withstand this without issue. I have beat the living **** out of my track car at a 600 whp + level and never had a single exhaust failure/crack/bend ect. In fact even my street evo has a 3.5" aluminum exhaust that CBRD built for me. It will "grow" when it gets hot, and obviously when debris like rocks from the road get kicked up it will pit the metal vs. just bouncing off steel/ti.

I'll leave you with this-
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:41 AM
chu
Evolved Member

^Maybe a misnomer, but something to consider when you are spending so much money to buy one or have one built.

Out of curiousity, what kind of tracking do you do? I've never seen an aluminum exhaust on a road course.

Last edited by chu; Jan 3, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Mostly drag @ mason dixon, 75/80, cecil county, the road in front of my house.

I attended a private track day at NJMP a few months ago as my first road course event which was awesome. I do alot of sport bike stuff at summit point as well so I might bring the car along this season
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:02 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boosted91t
Mostly drag @ mason dixon, 75/80, cecil county, the road in front of my house.

I attended a private track day at NJMP a few months ago as my first road course event which was awesome. I do alot of sport bike stuff at summit point as well so I might bring the car along this season
I'd really like to see how an alum exhaust would hold up to road course use. 30 mins on track produces alot more heat, especially in the middle of summer, then 10 seconds at the drag strip with a lot of downtime in between. On another note, we're doing a private track day at NJMP at the end of February if you're interested. Check out the thread in the motorsports section. We have 20 Evos signed up so far, along with a bunch of other cars.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Understoof completely. I did about 6 30 minute sessions with the alum exhaust thus far. Honestly I think the exhaust grew 2" after a session lol

Yep I'll have to check it out
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:03 AM

I am still torn on which setup to go with. I was set on getting the litespec but now they are close to impossible to find with them not in existance any more. I used todo about 4-5 track days a year in my older car. I did my first track day last fall with the evo and I have the bug again. The evo is not my DD so I don't have to worry so much about corosion etc.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Save your money for suspension and get a cheep exhaust, the first time you slide off the track over a berm will destroy whatever exhaust you have anyways and its not going to make you or the car any faster. Or better yet spend the money on more track time because that's the best was to get faster. For tracking suspension, tires, brakes are first and make the most difference. Everything else but safety comes next.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:39 PM

Lol, I got brakes, a sway bar, and race harnesses for Christmas and picked up tires last year so I am about*ready for an exhaust. I see what you are saying.