Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Service exhaust code.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service exhaust code.

I just shot off a check engine light for for the exhaust. This happened after my car got tuned? what gives. I brought it to the shop and they said I need to put a testpipe on the car eventhough my car has an aftermarket exhaust?

Any ideas or solutions would help on how to make this code go away. When I reset it it come sback after I runt he car hard. The car runs well I just dont like that service engine soon light there.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Okay folks I pulled the code I got code p0420 and code p0300? I currently have cams intake and exhaust along with some injen hardpipes and a tune. Thats it...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STLEVOIX
LOL serious though im going to read more into it but can you guys give me more insight?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
P0420 will occur if your cat isnt working properly. In your case you no longer have a cat hence why the code is popping up. You can do one of two things. Have the company who tuned your car permanently disable the code, or you can get a spark plug anti fouler, drill it out and screw your rear o2 sensor into it and then screw that whole assembly into your exhaust. Basically it pulls the sensor away from the exhaust stream so it thinks the cat is functioning.

The p0300 is a random multiple cylinder misfire code. This is notorious for being a faulty code and most people simply delete that code altogether. Personally if I were you I would make sure that your car isnt actually misfiring by checking things such as your coils, spark plugs injectors and lastly tune. Once you can confirm that none of those are the culprit then I would suggest that you delete the code.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Have the company who tuned your car permanently disable the code,
They should've done that in the first place.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S0LUTI0N
They should've done that in the first place.
I agree but they obviously didnt which makes me question the shop the car was brought to in the first place...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0420 ...oh the love I have for that code..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

P0420 will occur if your cat isnt working properly. In your case you no longer have a cat hence why the code is popping up. You can do one of two things. Have the company who tuned your car permanently disable the code, or you can get a spark plug anti fouler, drill it out and screw your rear o2 sensor into it and then screw that whole assembly into your exhaust. Basically it pulls the sensor away from the exhaust stream so it thinks the cat is functioning.

The p0300 is a random multiple cylinder misfire code. This is notorious for being a faulty code and most people simply delete that code altogether. Personally if I were you I would make sure that your car isnt actually misfiring by checking things such as your coils, spark plugs injectors and lastly tune. Once you can confirm that none of those are the culprit then I would suggest that you delete the code.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Also Heel2toe this ones for you would it be wise to have the code disabled altogether or to get the sparkplug anti fouler? im not sure which program the shop tuned the car with.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Going non h.i.d to H.i.D

What size is the bulb?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
Thanks everyone for the advice. Also Heel2toe this ones for you would it be wise to have the code disabled altogether or to get the sparkplug anti fouler? im not sure which program the shop tuned the car with.
In regards to the p0420 both are perfectly viable options. I originally used the anti fouler method but later ended up removing it and disabling the code altogether. They both have the same end result so its totally up to you.

For the p0300 code I would make sure the car is fine mechanically before disabling the code.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

In regards to the p0420 both are perfectly viable options. I originally used the anti fouler method but later ended up removing it and disabling the code altogether. They both have the same end result so its totally up to you.

For the p0300 code I would make sure the car is fine mechanically before disabling the code.
Well would the car shoot off this kind of code when it has cams.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
possibly.. if you had a misfire....
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
Well would the car shoot off this kind of code when it has cams.
Some say that the P0300 code is common with upgraded cams although I cant say whether that is the culprit or not. The P0300 code is quite a common issue with evos unfortunately.

I am actually fighting the p0300 as we speak. My car has upgraded cams and has had them for about 3 years now. Roughly 5 months ago I started throwing the code. Since then I have been trying to figure out what the issue is and I cant pinpoint it and am about ready to delete the code altogether.

Did your car first start throwing the code after your car was tuned? If so then I would guess that the tune is the culprit.