Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help with HIDs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with HIDs

I'm not sure if this is in the right section if not, mods feel free to move it.

I have a 2006 SE non MR with OEM HIDs. About a month ago the passenger side light turned red, I read that this meant the light was going bad. So I replaced both OEM lights with 6000K lights. For the last month all was well. Yesterday I noticed my passenger side was completely out. I flipped them off and on and it was working again. This happens every so often and I can't figure out what triggers it. It seems to be burning brighter than the driver side light. Is this indicative of a ballast going bad? Or does anyone think this could be something else, like loose wiring, or the ballast not having enough power for the higher intensity lights?

If it is indeed a bad ballast, is there a manufacturer that makes high quality ballasts that aren't 500 bucks like the OEM ones? I've heard the eBay ones aren't as high of quality as OEM. Is there a way to test the ballast?

I have done searches about this, extensively, but most threads were about conversions with issues. So thanks for any help you guy have.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:31 PM

I've had these issues with different cars before and the only thing that cured it was new ballasts. The eBay ones are total crap IMO, best one lasted 9 months. My brother just got some that are very good quality and offer a great warranty. Google "theretrofitsource". I'm just glad my X had good ballasts when I bought it used.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Theretrofitsource.com if you need good ballast

Try swapping the left and right ballast, see if that makes a difference
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

That was my next move. Are they hard to remove/switch? Or is it just like a plug and play kind deal? Would you go for a used Evo ix one if you had the option ?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you get the bulbs?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly i have 2 sets of DDM Tuning HID kits and they have worked flawlessly for over 4 years. I'd check them out. They're plug and play.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:31 AM

Try switching them from left to right maybe also there might be a short wit a wire/fuse might also be the Watts of the bulb
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Was the passenger side headlight bulb noticeably dimmer than the driver side one before it started glowing red?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:32 PM

Try to get you hands on a OEM ballast if you can, since they are digital components they really are a case of 'you get what you pay for', I'm sure you can find someone parting a car or selling just the ballasts.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Not noticeably, it really caught me off guard when it turned red which is why i thought it was the bulb at first.

I got them from a link i followed off this site, i cant remember the name of the site now, D2S somthing or other.

I found a member selling a used one, but my concern is that it may not work and ill end up paying 100 bucks for a dud.

the stig, did you just get two of their kits? or just two of their replacement ballasts?

How much work is involved with removing the ballasts, i assume im going to need to remove the housing and have it out the car, but is it just a couple of screws and wire harness's or am i going to need to know some circuitry?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
why are you still trying to buy something?

troubleshoot your issue and switch the bulbs, then switch the ballasts, then switch both to see if the problems still occur. you're just wasting money otherwise and you don't even know what the issue is

the ballasts are just mounted to the bottom of the headlights and unplug, no wiring or circuitry expertise needed. the only annoying this is that the front bumper has to come off to get the headlights off
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good looking site, glad I ran across this thread. My wife's G35 light went out and after she spent $100+ on a bulb at autozone and it didn't work we were about to come up off eight hungid at Infiniti. Luckily it started working again on its on, but now she has two mismatched bulbs and I imagine borrowed time on the one that went out. Maybe this retrofit site can sort us out the right way.

Last edited by GPTourer; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:04 PM.