Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installing a map sensor on a 2005 evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a map sensor on a 2005 evo 8

So after some reading and being confused by this map sensor thing. I'm going to need this to log boost? My car isnt here its in the shop torn apart ,engine out. i wanna have all my duck's in a row before i tune it... "Been having a hell of a time getting in touch with tom at tscomptuned"

Been on a spending spree and been ordering parts at night when my wife is a sleep for the last few days. Been fun! wouldn't recommend it.

So how tough is it to install the sensor, been reading about having to wire it up to the ecu which dont sound to fun. Been searching for a install thread but cant find.

If anyone can help clear this up with the difficulty of this install please.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
The MAP sensor is a simple install and should take you no more than 1 minute to pop in. Its located on the top of the intake manifold, you cant miss it. All you need to do is unplug the electrical connector which involves removing the metal reatining clip. Use a small flathead for that. Then unbolt the two 10mm bolts and throw on your new sensor. The wiring is already there however the factory sensor is only a 1 bar so people swap in a 3 or 4 bar in order to log boost.

Look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...tructions.html

In terms of wiring in a sensor to the ecu I think you might be thinking about wiring in your wideband. If so look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...o-evoscan.html

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

awesome thanks for the help, very kind of ya.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
NP bud that's what we're here for, good luck
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:50 AM

I'm in the same boat! My mani has the mount, but no stock sensor. Needs to be drilled in. Is there another way to mount it? Or perhaps another way to log boost without the map sensor?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a JDM or AUDM? I believe I read somewhere that the EUDM and AUDM don't have a MAP sensor and would need to drill and install. Search for Mrfred thread.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:59 AM

I have a JDM (equivalent to AUDM for you guys) and has no sensor. I want to avoid drilling to be honest. Is there another way to log it until I get it professionally drilled and installed?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think that the 4bar Omnipower map sensor has a nipple arrangement on it so you can just plumb it into one of your vacuum lines coming off the intake mani. Get a map sensor connector from Matt at spoolinup.com, run 3 cables to the ecu, one to 5v, one to ground and one to the map sensor pin (92 on a evo 9) then set up your evoscan to log.

You will also need a iat sensor installed if you want to run speed density. To do this you will need a iat sensor and cable, again from Spoolinup. The sensor goes on the uicp just before the throttle body, or in the intake mani just to the right of the map sensor area (if you want to drill and tap the hole which is 3/8) if you do the uicp you will also need a 3/8 bung welded in.
Use the speed density cable from spoolinup to connect the iat sensor to the maf plug (maf is removed for speed density) then adjust evoscan to log.

If you just want to log boost ignore the iat sensor bit.

So you will need
4 bar omnipower map sensor from vendor of your choice, I used Tom at TSCOMP.

Some ecu pins and a gm map sensor connector from spoolinup.com

And If you want to go speed density

Iat sensor
3/8 bung (if not tapping intake manifold)
Speed density harness. All from spoolinup + 4" intake pipe and big air filter.

Cheers
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
The MAP sensor is a simple install and should take you no more than 1 minute to pop in. Its located on the top of the intake manifold, you cant miss it. All you need to do is unplug the electrical connector which involves removing the metal reatining clip. Use a small flathead for that. Then unbolt the two 10mm bolts and throw on your new sensor. The wiring is already there however the factory sensor is only a 1 bar so people swap in a 3 or 4 bar in order to log boost.

Look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...tructions.html

In terms of wiring in a sensor to the ecu I think you might be thinking about wiring in your wideband. If so look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...o-evoscan.html

Hope this helps!
perfect, i'm doing this now lol - any torque specs for this install?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
NOt offhand. Just don't tighten it too much or the bolt will go bye bye. Don't ask....