Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cleaning headlights?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning headlights?

Tried cleaning my headlights but it appears there's some weird yellowing on the inside of the lense. They're JDM 9 headlights and I would like to get rid of the residue or whatever it is. Can I just bake them to pull them apart? What temp do I bake them at and how long? Then how do I make sure they're properly sealed after?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old May 3, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

How did you clean them? its unlikely that the yellow is on the inside. Go pick up a headlight restoring kit. Search the forum too there's some tutorials floating around.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by MechTech
How did you clean them? its unlikely that the yellow is on the inside. Go pick up a headlight restoring kit. Search the forum too there's some tutorials floating around.
+1, usually the discoloration occurs outside the lens. So sort of abrasive compound should clean them right up!
Old May 3, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Toothpaste supposedly works really well. I've had pretty good luck with the 3M headlight restoration lens, or just throw some high-abrasive polish on a pad and do work.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also used the 3M headlight resto and it works good, but take the headlights off and take your time. Use a drill or polisher to have better results when you polish the headlights.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:45 AM

I did it the same way I've been doing all my headlights. Spent about 2 hours on them and it did nothing. Started with some 800 grit sand paper wet sanded for about 10 minutes, then moved to 1200, then 1500 followed by a medium rubbing compound then a fine compound. Did absolutely nothing.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

You need to go gradually all the way to at least 3000 grit. I always go all the way to 5000 grit and have crystal clear results. Also use plastic X instead of rubbing compound
Old May 4, 2013, 06:41 PM

I've used Novus #2 for years with very good results.

Headlights
Gauge cluster covers
Helmet face shields

Good product
Old May 4, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This stuff is better than any kit I've ever used, and it takes 15 min tops for the whole car. Also, there is no way the yellowing is on the inside.

http://www.cureuv.com/lightrite-head...value-pak.html
Old May 7, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Do you sand by hand or a drill type deal? Sometimes it takes a long time to get through all the crap on the lens. Definitely go all the way to 3000 or better grit when you do it. Maybe take a picture of your lights to give us a better idea of how bad they are. Like some have said the kit is the way to go its gives you all the steps and proper compound. Maybe give one a try.

Something else that popped into my head is make sure they don't have like a clear bra film on them. I've seen that yellow from neglect and it causes all kinds of issues.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

i'd start off with 2500 and move on up every 500. worked well with me. polish and then seal. after that just every 6 months or so just polish and seal.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:33 PM

I picked up a meguiar's headlight restoration kit for like $30, comes with 2 different sand paper grits, a polishing pad you put in a drill, headlight cleaning bottle and a polishing bottle, worked really well for me and i've done 6 pairs of headlights and still have product left. GL glad you care about your headlights so many people just dont care and it looks awful D=
Old May 8, 2013, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

There's a million different sources of info on this topic from detail forums.

Post photos so we can have a look.
I'd be a little nervous putting $1600 of headlights in the oven..
Old May 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

For anybody that has an issue with headlights sealing and has had water get into the housings and make water spots on the inside lens. Go buy a bottle of everclear, its 190 proof or 95% pure alcohol. Since it is so close to lab grade alcohol it won't damage paint or plastic. Just pour a little in the lense, swish it around and pour out the excess. The rest will dissolve leaving a clean lens. Best of all you'll have the rest of the bottle to drink
Old May 9, 2013, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Worked at a car wash before and I had mine done they look great, if I remember what grits so I apologize

All wet sanding with a compressor and dremal flat tool
Heavy grit sand paper
Medium grit sand paper
Light grit sand paper

Then 3m compound
1st buffer the headlights with polish pad
2nd polish the headligts with a polisher cream

Its been awhile but if you look up 3m products you should find them.

Quick Reply: Cleaning headlights?