Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sulfur smell and smoke coming from battery

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sulfur smell and smoke coming from battery

So today I took the evo out for the 1st time in about 7 months and for most of that time the battery was on a battery tender. Well I had installed the battery about a month ago but I didn't drive the car until today. So I went to start the car and that battery was dead which was no surprise since I have the ams small battery kit. I took my jumper pack out of my car and attach the leads to te battery and it started no problem. I went to the mall with my girlfriend and the battery was dead again so I did the exact small thing and jumped it. It started again and all was fine so we took a nice drive to the beach and back which probably took about 2 1/2 hours and when I parked my car in the garage we noticed there was a weird sulfur like smell coming from it. I figured it was something burning from te exhaust since its been sitting for so long but I poped the hood and all I saw was smoke coming from the battery terminal and it smelled horribly of sulfur. I took the red positive cover off and it was soaked in either water or some clear liquid. The battery wast burning hot but it was hot to the touch. All the connections and wires seemed fine but the battery seems like junk. Does anyone know what battery I can use to replace the small battery that comes with the ams kit. I'd like to order one ASAP so I can drive my car again. Also could the alternator be the culprit here as well? The batter is about 4 years old. I won't be driving the car or even messing with the battery until I get a new one since from what I read whatever is coming from the battery is hydrogen sulphide and its extremely explosive.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered a new battery. I ended up getting the odyssey pc680. I took a look at my old battery and the sides swelled up a good amount. I'll have to check the voltage the alternator is putting out once I get the new battery. Hopefully he alternator is good but of not ill just change it out along with the serpentine belt since I would have to remove it anyway.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just glad my evo didn't burn to te ground lol.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if it'll work with your kit, but the CSB batteries ETS uses in their kits are pretty cheap and can last a few years if maintained properly.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the battery was that dead and you drove for 2 1/2 hrs the alternator could possibly have cooked the battery hence the sulfur smell and battery acid everywhere. Obviously that battery is no good now, replacing it was smart. You have the right idea checking the alternator but make sure you check amperage along with voltage. Sounds like the battery was just bad but double check everything.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old was this battery? I have the AMS battery as well. I left my battery disconnected for five months this past winter and the car started up just fine come spring. The car was in a non-heated detached garage in MO. Your battery charger may be the problem.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

The battery was about 4-5 years old. I had it out for the car on a battery tender for about 7 months but then it just sat in the car connected for about 5 weeks and it was completely dead when I went to start it. I haven't had the time yet but I'll probably put the new battery in tomorrow.

Last edited by 19DB794; May 11, 2013 at 04:20 PM.