Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ny state salvage title inspection SRS light on

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ny state salvage title inspection SRS light on

hey guys, this one s a long shot but if any of you have done a ny state salvage title inspection on your evo or another car that has the SRS light

does the inspector care if that is on?

i had a sensor on the front radiator support pannel get ripped off in the accident and ive replaced it, i know i just have to go to the dealership to get that reset, just wondering if
i need to do that before the inspection or not

thanks
Old May 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
hey guys, this one s a long shot but if any of you have done a ny state salvage title inspection on your evo or another car that has the SRS light

does the inspector care if that is on?

i had a sensor on the front radiator support pannel get ripped off in the accident and ive replaced it, i know i just have to go to the dealership to get that reset, just wondering if
i need to do that before the inspection or not

thanks
Some shops will care, some won't. I believe it is technically required to be off by law though.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
why not just go get it reset and be done with it?
Old May 29, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I ve got a friends father who deals with the salvage thing all the time with his job as an
insurance adjuster and hes thinking theres no issue because it has nothing to do with the safety inspection because nys doesnt check that or so hes telling me

mainly there just looking for stolen parts much more then to see if the car is "road worthy"

figured id get some insight if anyone personally has delt with it before, 205 dollars is a lot to just shell out again because of a darn srs light
Old May 29, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
I ve got a friends father who deals with the salvage thing all the time with his job as an
insurance adjuster and hes thinking theres no issue because it has nothing to do with the safety inspection because nys doesnt check that or so hes telling me

mainly there just looking for stolen parts much more then to see if the car is "road worthy"

figured id get some insight if anyone personally has delt with it before, 205 dollars is a lot to just shell out again because of a darn srs light
A NYS inspection is nothing more than a tax, and a method for mechanics to get cars into their shops.

In PRINCIPLE, people should be taking their cars in for regular services, and a competent mechanic should notice things that need to be repaired, but unfortunately with the silly quick lube places being able to do NYS inspections, there are just a lot of perfectly good wipers getting replaced.

My point is, if you were really doing a safety inspection, and someone came in with an SRS light on for unknown reasons, whether it's required or not, I'd tell them it needed to be fixed, because it in fact does need to be fixed.

Sadly, there are plenty of shops that are just happy to get the flat rate, whatever it is now, and charge an extra $10 to replace a bulb.

Get your SRS light repaired. Then you won't have to ask about how/why whatever to get around it all. I mean what's your end game? Just leave it on infinitely?
Old May 29, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, that makes me seem like a dick. I'm not trying to be a dick.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Light will have to be off for evalution for after salvage repair.

Think about it. You have an airbag that was blown on passenger side and the guy okay's it. some one dies. that's a big no-no as far as tthe state is concerned.

And anyway they would have to check the airbag ecu anyway or anyother srs parts for being stolen due to serial numbers on all airbags.

Go to any bodyshop and or GOOD repair shop to have it scanned and cleared.

Don't waste your time by trying to get the car salvage inspected with the light on.

BTW: down here, they took my buddies VW in for 3 hours in a sealed garage.
For all we know, they were playing cards, LOL
Old May 30, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Light will have to be off for evalution for after salvage repair.

Think about it. You have an airbag that was blown on passenger side and the guy okay's it. some one dies. that's a big no-no as far as tthe state is concerned.

And anyway they would have to check the airbag ecu anyway or anyother srs parts for being stolen due to serial numbers on all airbags.

Go to any bodyshop and or GOOD repair shop to have it scanned and cleared.

Don't waste your time by trying to get the car salvage inspected with the light on.

BTW: down here, they took my buddies VW in for 3 hours in a sealed garage.
For all we know, they were playing cards, LOL
wow on the sealed garage thing lol

and im just going to get this thing turned off
not worth the trouble, was planning on doing it anyways once it was on the road just not on the road yet

thanks for all the answers guys
Old May 30, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Will you airbag still work if the srs light is on? I would think as default it would.
Old May 30, 2013, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Correct me if I'm wrong. Will you airbag still work if the srs light is on? I would think as default it would.
Most of the time , NO(system is shut down) just like if your ABS light is on. But I would hate to try and find out.

System is shut down, due to the fact the system can't verify crash intensity and if its resistance in a bag it doesn't know how much force the bag will put on an occupant.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Most of the time , NO(system is shut down) just like if your ABS light is on. But I would hate to try and find out.

System is shut down, due to the fact the system can't verify crash intensity and if its resistance in a bag it doesn't know how much force the bag will put on an occupant.

I was thinking along the same lines as this,,, just going to go get it fixed, the guy above is right, its got to get done some time might as well just do it now
Old Jun 1, 2013, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
by law you do not have to have airbags, just seatbelts so inspection shouldn't care.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
by law you do not have to have airbags, just seatbelts so inspection shouldn't care.
WTF are you talking about?

If the car is going into an inspection for a salvage inspection. It better damn well come with everything the car came with originally.

Sure. We don't need passenger seats either. How about doors, shoot, Jeeps don't have them sometimes.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WTF are you talking about?

If the car is going into an inspection for a salvage inspection. It better damn well come with everything the car came with originally.

Sure. We don't need passenger seats either. How about doors, shoot, Jeeps don't have them sometimes.
I've done collision repair for 10 years now, Airbags are not required.....

You just cannot trade it into a dealership without bags. They wont take it.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
I've done collision repair for 10 years now, Airbags are not required.....
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...bags-mandatory

First paragraph dude..... And BTW his question was NYS salvage inspection...
Texas laws might be different....

Quick Reply: ny state salvage title inspection SRS light on