Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SES light issue.... in reverse!!! plz help.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES light issue.... in reverse!!! plz help.

as the title says, i have a reverse SES light issue. I tried to take my car in for a smog check and the person there said that they didnt want to do it cause the service engine soon light doesn't come when you turn the ignition to the on position. He didn't want me to waste my money in case there a was a code or something. if there is a code the computer will automatically fail the car and i would then have to pay. so i checked and there wasn't a bulb. i put one in and still nothing. is there a fuse connected to the light or a certain something people do to turn it off? any help would be greatly appreciated.
oh and to add, i bought the car the way it is. so i know nothing of what the previous owner did to it. only thing i did was change the exhaust from super loud 2.5 inch to resonated and quite 3 inch.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:20 PM

anyone?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Just a bulb. He probably was having trouble with the p0300 code and later fixed it in the ECU programming.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Scan the car before going to the inspection station to be sure there are no DTC's stored.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the title says, "In reverse" I get confused. I thought you meant with the transmission in reverse
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:37 AM

alright so i replaced the bulbs and used a light tester to make sure it lit up. i also checked to see if there was continuity. that was good too.
ill try to get the car scaned later. i hope theres no codes.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 08:41 PM

Yeah i got confused too. What means in reverse. Dont get it
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:52 AM

sorry about the reverse thing. before i posted i of course did use the all mighty SEARCH button, and all i got was "SES light on what do i do?" "SES light! what now?" "What is Service Engine Soon light and how do i turn it off?".
But unfortunately for me my SES light does not even come on at all. There for i cannot smog my car in the state of california which i live in.
the in reverse part is just the opposite of what every one else is looking for (how to turn it off)
im looking for how to turn it on.
the wires have continuity, the bulb works(checked with light tester) and i just had the car scanned today and i do have a trouble code o2 sensor #2 which is the rear o2 sensor. apparently my car does not have one (i bought the car the way it is with minor changes).
which brings me back to my question,
How do i turn the SES light on?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:58 AM

even with the trouble code it doesn't light up. are you able to turn off the SES light by flashing the ECU? is there a way to tell if the ECU has been flashed or not? i really dont want to spend $300 on another stock ECU just to check if its that or not.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

All the dash lights should illuminate when you first turn the ignition on. So, does the SES light come on then?

You can program the ECU to not check the rear O2 but then there would never be a code.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:42 AM

All the dash lights EXCEPT the SES light. and i do have a trouble code rear o2. and it still does not light up in the on position or after the engine has been turned on.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:57 PM

anyone know any tricks of how to turn the SES (CEL) light off? it would be of much help cause i need to do the opposite.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

First thing I would do is check the obvious, check the filament with an ohm meter. That or try a different bulb.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:44 PM

bulb is good. i switched it with one that lit up and also checked it with a circuit tester and it lit up too.
i replaced the missing rear O2 sensor and now there are no codes. but even then, the pre SES light still does not light up.
about 2 years ago my wife had a shop install a viper alarm. think that that might have done something to it? it does have the auto start installed as well.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:36 PM

this SES light not turning on is going to kill my EVO.

Quick Reply: SES light issue.... in reverse!!! plz help.