Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vibration in steering wheel above 60mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration in steering wheel above 60mph

So my steering wheel started vibrating quite a bit above 60 mph the other day. Above 80 the whole car shakes pretty bad. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but here is kind of what has been done to the car in the last week (since it started, more or less). I got new tires, got an alignment, stripped & broke 4 studs on the front driver side wheel (they're ARP studs), so I replaced all 5 studs. I also raised my front coilovers and adjusted the spring tension.

All four tires have 40-41psi, you can't feel the vibration in the brakes when going the fast. The vibrations continue even when you let off the gas. There is also a clunking noise while turning at low speeds (I've only noticed it below 20mph) & sometimes rattle noise (the rattle noise sounds kind of like the metal plate behind the rotor?).

I was braking off the freeway (I was checking to see if it was a warped rotor) and right at about 20 mph the car started shaking extremely violently even after completely stopped & in neutral so I just turned the car off. I was only stopped for not even 5 seconds before I turned the car off. It's not leaking any fluid and the knock light (check engine light) wasn't flashing durnig the shaking but I do have 1 count of knock every once in a pretty great while.

I'm going to get the wheels balanced probably tomorrow, but what else could it be? Maybe a tie rod end? I don't think it's a wheel bearing but maybe? Any help is appreciated!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:45 PM

im no expert, but 1.) i think your tire pressure it too high. you should be at around 31 psi, you dont put the pressure the tire says you put the pressure it says on the inside of your drivers door. check your lugs and make sure theyr tight. and dont tighten them on the ground. put the car in the air and tq every lug with a tq wrench,
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your wheel weights and make sure they didn't fall off. They can cause your steering wheel to vibrate if the problem occurs on the front wheels only.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xene
Check your wheel weights and make sure they didn't fall off. They can cause your steering wheel to vibrate if the problem occurs on the front wheels only.
and that^
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:22 PM

I'm pretty sure the lugs are tight, but I'll check. I've had loose lugs before and it doesn't really feel like this but you never know *shrugs*

As for the tire pressure, I'll checked the door and it said 32psi in front and 29 in back but that's for the stock tire size (235/xx/17) and mine are way bigger (285/35/18). The tires say 51psi so where mine are at is right inbetween those two...

What are symtoms of poorly adjust coilovers? I'm pretty sure it's either my wheel bearing or tie rod ends.. Though it doesn't make noise while on the freeway (which usuaully indicates a bad wheel bearing) it does occasionally make noise when turning tightly...

Last edited by KenyonKanye; Jul 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The more weight on a tire the more sidewall flex. Excessive sidewall flex will cause a tire to fail. Additional inflation reduces flex. But, there is a limit to how high of tire pressure you can run. I'm pretty sure the 51 psi is that limit. So, 51 psi is not where you will find the best traction, handling or ride but only the maximum inflation pressure.

When worn out tires are taken off, that necessarily isn't the end of their life. They might then be sold to some farmer (or who knows) and be used on a heavy implement or equipment where tread life isn't important but maximum inflation pressure is.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by evosnstuff
im no expert, but 1.) i think your tire pressure it too high. you should be at around 31 psi, you dont put the pressure the tire says you put the pressure it says on the inside of your drivers door. check your lugs and make sure theyr tight. and dont tighten them on the ground. put the car in the air and tq every lug with a tq wrench,
I don't want to call you out but I do need to clarify poor advice.

The tire pressure that is on the door of your vehicle is tuned with all things considering that you are running the OEM tire and OEM specs of the vehicle. So running an aftermarket tire at same pressure rating is not always good advice.
This would vary greatly with truck tires and low pro 22's for example as a worse case scenario.

You can run low 40's in tire pressure on performance tires all day, it will make them stiff as pooh and help fuel mileage but that's nots not likely to cause a steering judder issue.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:58 PM

If the vibration comes and goes at different speeds its more than likely the balance, and the ideal air pressure an literally vary tire to tire, is the tire a 93 load index with a y speed rating? Extra load or standard? Just a couple examples! But I digress, get your balance rechecked
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does it pull to either side when vibrating?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had this problem with a Van of mine. Turned out to be a belt let loose in the tire and caused a bulge.