Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

One side of my OEM HID stopped working

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One side of my OEM HID stopped working

So one side of my HID turned off on my 03 Evo 8, i wiggle the plug thats on top and it used to turn on but now it does not. Is there anyway of buying a ebay hid kit for $35 and replacing the whole kit? or is it a special housing and i need to get oem.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Could it simply just be your bulb going out? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by InoNothingMR
Could it simply just be your bulb going out? Or am I misunderstanding you?
i sont think its the bulb. ITs probably the transformor. The OEM transfer is going to cost an arm and a leg so i wan ted to know if anything has switched them to an aftermarket kit knowing that the housing kind of integrates the oem system.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Randal
i sont think its the bulb. ITs probably the transformor. The OEM transfer is going to cost an arm and a leg so i wan ted to know if anything has switched them to an aftermarket kit knowing that the housing kind of integrates the oem system.
My advice would be to swap your other bulb over and check if that works first. Start with the simple answer and work your way up to the expensive ones.

Was it changing color at all before it went out?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It definitely sounds like the ballast/ignitor combo is failing or you have another wiring issue (if you could wiggle it to ignite.)
OEM are normally of the highest of quality, therefore really the ones you want, but at several hundred each, I understand why you'd want a $35 ebay kit.

Give me a call if you're looking at OEM, I'll be sure to get you the best price there. 585.226.8226
If you're looking at aftermarket, just be warned you're going to have to splice your wiring harness and or suffer with poor ignition quality, warm up speeds, etc.

--Zigg
Old Nov 8, 2013, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound like you have a bad ballest/bulb won't be cheap you can always try a new bulb see if that works. Swaping bulbs could help you narrow down the problem. But you will have to remove the bumper the get to the bulbs.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

If this is you first hid set then get a new one. If it happens again and always on the same side then you have something wrong going on. Funny thing is that happen to me I bought 4 hid kits in the matter of 6 months but once I went with mini battery it completely stop doing it. So it might be battery related.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've got an oem ballast for sale if you need it, I'll throw in the bulb too if you need it
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
I've got an oem ballast for sale if you need it, I'll throw in the bulb too if you need it

Go with this dude or check eBay for an OEM ballast. Don't, for the love of the Evo Gods, go with any after-hacket kit, when you have OEM HIDs. If you had a non OEM HID car and wanted to convert, by all means pick one and good luck. But like it was said in an earlier post, OEM ballasts are of the highest quality. You can pick a used one up on eBay for a decent price, I know I've seen them before. Good luck, but please for your own peace of mind and install ease, go OEM.