Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

no heater and no AC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no heater and no AC

hey guys I'm new to this forum but i bought an evo 8 a little while ago and ever since i bought it the heater and the ac haven't worked. The guy I bought it from new nothing about cars so he had no clue what was wrong. It just blows air through the vents. Everything hooked up, car doesn't over heat and theres pressure in the coolant lines. Im kinda at a loss as of what could be wrong? both heater core and ac compressor went out? Any information would be great! thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:46 PM

Either your out of refrigerant or you got a busted compressor. Do you have anyway to measure you Low Side line to check if you have any refrigerant? Also when you turn on your A/C does the compressor kick's in?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
These are separate problems so what I would do is first concentrate of fixing the heater.

Look under the dash above and to the right of the accelerator pedal. This is the heater box. Turn the temperature knob on the heater control and notice if the white plastic pieces move their full travel. These levers move the door that uncovers the heater core. In one position you get hot air and at full travel in the other direction cool air.

The levers on early Evos were of a bad design and redesigned levers are available from the dealer. Also, often the cable or knob breaks due to the bad levers.

If that is okay, check for a looped around heater hose. There should be two medium sized water hoses going to the firewall. If instead, there is only one hose looped around back to the engine, the heater core has probably failed and rather than fixing it, a previous owner blocked it off.

If that is okay, check inside the radiator at the cap. You should see nice clean antifreeze. If you see some gunk a previous owner may have used stop leak and the stuff has plugged the heater core. This can be flushed out with water pressure or compressed air.

Finally, if all of the above checks okay try a new thermostat.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 02:10 PM

thanks guys! barney you were right! the little plastic lever is stuck in the very top position. the knob that goes not the heater box won't move. something inside the heater box broken? now how do i fix it is the question? I'm glad to find out its not the heater core

Last edited by ryanxevo; Nov 18, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ega-guide.html

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:03 AM

its not the heater switch thats broken, it the gear that goes into the heater box that won't turn
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ega-guide.html