Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water Temp gauge, Where to put sender?

Old Dec 24, 2013, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water Temp gauge, Where to put sender?

I was going to instal an after market water temp sender and i see two ports on the OEM housing. I assume the one wire version on the front is the OEM gauge sender, but the Autometer senders threads didnt match. The OEM sensor is smaller thread.

I noticed a larger sender on the back side, where does that go? to the ECU (can read water temp on the OBDII scanner)

If i were to pull that out and use that port for my Autometer sender would that cause a CEL?

I have one of the aluminum block to cut your radiator hose and splice it in the middle. But that is after the T-stat and it would be nice to have the temp before the t-stat. Would help alarm me if the t stat were to fail. Also cutting up my new Samco Hoses and putting a huge aluminum block in there just is not a clean instal.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a link from EGbeater. I'll be doing the same in a couple of weeks. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mp-sensor.html
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome link thanks. I thought i would have to do something like this. As much as i would hate to have to take the housing off the engine, it really is the best way.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

If you are looking for an easier way than taking of the housing and tapping it they have couplers that you can cut the radiator hose and install them in the hose that give you a port for the wt gauge. I'm using one in my truck since it's old as hell and the gauge on the dash crapped out. I've had it in there for 2 years now and never had it leak.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
That would be after the t stat temp readings.

Actually the easiest way would be to replace the oem sensor with an aftermarket one. Just have get the correct fittings.