Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shifting an evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting an evo

Coming from RWD cars, and only having spend 3k miles in my evo, I don't know if my technique completely sucks for AWD or if something's up. When shifting at high revs (6-7k) I cannot shift fast. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge you can't run through gears in an evo or not but I just can't. If I try to shift hard(let off gas, punch clutch, slam into gear) the shifter won't go into gear smoothly at all. So my question is, are you supposed to smoothly engage the gear or could there be something up with my syncros(I have no grind) thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be able to shift smoothly from gear to gear in the Evo with the clutch pedal depressed at any RPM.

Which clutch do you have? Many clutches have lockout issues.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
You should be able to shift smoothly from gear to gear in the Evo with the clutch pedal depressed at any RPM.

Which clutch do you have? Many clutches have lockout issues.
Well, I'm in need for a new clutch as it's starting to slip, I didn't know that would cause lockout though which now that I think of it, it definitely feels like it locks out. I'm considering a competition stage 3 or 4.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No no... only certain clutches cause lockout, and it shouldn't have any bearing on wear honestly... but then again, the clutches that had lockout issues also couldn't really explain why it happened, or any of the details... although, I haven't been around for a bit. Maybe it got sorted out.

As I was just explaining in another thread, I'm a firm believer in many Evo's are "over-clutched" these days. People buy clutches like insurance. If my car makes 300hp, and I want to make 700, I better get a clutch that holds 700 because I don't want to upgrade again.

But they forget that the clutch is also a safeguard, and if you make it hold more, then that wear and tear gets passed on further down the driveline until either your tires spin, or something inbetween explodes.

So choose your clutches wisely.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Coming from RWD cars, and only having spend 3k miles in my evo, I don't know if my technique completely sucks for AWD or if something's up. When shifting at high revs (6-7k) I cannot shift fast. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge you can't run through gears in an evo or not but I just can't. If I try to shift hard(let off gas, punch clutch, slam into gear) the shifter won't go into gear smoothly at all. So my question is, are you supposed to smoothly engage the gear or could there be something up with my syncros(I have no grind) thanks in advance.
What are you, fast and furious ?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
No no... only certain clutches cause lockout, and it shouldn't have any bearing on wear honestly... but then again, the clutches that had lockout issues also couldn't really explain why it happened, or any of the details... although, I haven't been around for a bit. Maybe it got sorted out.

As I was just explaining in another thread, I'm a firm believer in many Evo's are "over-clutched" these days. People buy clutches like insurance. If my car makes 300hp, and I want to make 700, I better get a clutch that holds 700 because I don't want to upgrade again.

But they forget that the clutch is also a safeguard, and if you make it hold more, then that wear and tear gets passed on further down the driveline until either your tires spin, or something inbetween explodes..
Makes sense. I've always noticed this clutch had issues at higher rpms. But why would buying a clutch that surpasses what your car is capable of at the moment, be a bad thing? For example. Your car is putting down 400lbs of torque and you buy a clutch rated for 400lbs of torque. Wouldn't it be better to buy a clutch rated for 600lbs instead of pushing that clutch that barely meets what your car needs?

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
What are you, fast and furious ?
Thanks for the ignorant, non helpful whatsoever, post

Last edited by Viegasjuice; Jan 30, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Adjust your clutch pedal engagement point to be higher up from the floor to see if it still locks you out at high rpm.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Also, the fact that the clutch is crapping out means you are also wearing the synchronizers more. That will help contribute to not being able to get it in gear quickly.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the clutch that's in the car aftermarket, or do you know? Is definitely look into adjusting your clutch pedal. Look on jacks trans website for a how to. Proper clutch pedal adjustment can work wonders.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Is the clutch that's in the car aftermarket, or do you know? Is definitely look into adjusting your clutch pedal. Look on jacks trans website for a how to. Proper clutch pedal adjustment can work wonders.
From all the documents of previous owner, it's a centriforce clutch. I will work on pedal adjustment. Thanks guys.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

I have no problem slamming gears maybe you have a clutch issue or need a twin disk. I have a single disk comp clutch and I have no issues
Old Jan 31, 2014, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
I have no problem slamming gears maybe you have a clutch issue or need a twin disk. I have a single disk comp clutch and I have no issues
My next clutch will be a stage 3-4 competition clutch. Btw I'm not street racing or launching at lights. Just every now and then on a nice long stretch I like to enjoy the drive and I've noticed it's just not smooth at all. I'm gonna start with clutch replacement(needs one) and go from there.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Could be clutch related as others have said. Instead of trying to shift quick or speed shift slow it down a little. Proper shifting is done quickly and precisely, not slamming the shifter around.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
Could be clutch related as others have said. Instead of trying to shift quick or speed shift slow it down a little. Proper shifting is done quickly and precisely, not slamming the shifter around.
I don't slam into gear as I may have made it seem like. It's just not a smooth transition in higher rpms. I most definitely do not try and force/slam it in.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

I currently have an ACT HD and I love it. I can smooth shift or slam the gears, works either way. Although I only slam the gears if I'm all out racing someone else because you can feel all the stress being transfered to the drivetrain big time. I used to have a quarter master twin disk with a hydraulic throw out bearing but it made so much noise and was awful for daily driving. Really jerky and chattered like a mo fo. Good luck with your clutch but I think a new one should take care of any issues you're having.

Quick Reply: Shifting an evo