Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering Wheel Shake at Highway Speeds.

Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shake at Highway Speeds.

Since early 2011 I have had issues with shaking in my steering wheel.
The shake was ALMOST nonexistent until I fitted a wider wheel/tire combo (255 on 17x9 Advans).
I thought the wheels may be damaged, so I had them balanced/checked again, this time on a RoadForce machine. I installed them again and had the same issue.

I rotated wheels front to rear, with no change in shake.
I then began to inspect front end components. Everything was tight, except for a slight clunk in the steering. I had someone turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly with the car off, and it felt like the drivers side inner tie-rod end was loose.
I replaced the pair and got an alignment.

To my amazement, the clunk was still there.
With a stethescope, I narrowed the sound down to the steering rack itself.
It seems there is a bit of slop in the drive gear itself... would this cause enough play to make the steering wheel shake between 65-80mph?

I currently have my entire front end apart, including subframe... so I thought this may be a good time to consider replacing the rack.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you recall the number the road-force tire machine gave you for the tires?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
if i remember right, there is a large allen-head set screw that adjusts the rack. i can't remember if it was the Evo or the WRX.. maybe all cars, i'm not sure. check for that first. maybe it just needs to be adjusted?
i also have some intermittent shaking. i checked and re-checked my balance and alignment. i do have a slight play on my driver-side innter tie rod as well. i assumed that was the issue. i don't have a "clunk" but i do feel some looseness when going over certain bumps.
i plan to change the tie rod end and check for that adjustment screw. please let us know if you solve your problem.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Striker
Do you recall the number the road-force tire machine gave you for the tires?
No I do not! What numbers are you speaking of? I told the shop what my issue was, but they never gave me any balancing results.

I have even put hubcentric rings on as I thought that may have had a effect on the shake.

I have rotated the tires every which way, and the shake never changes location. It is hard for me to believe that an extra 20mm aggrivates the shake like that, but I guess the offset is a bit more aggressive at -29mm.

Originally Posted by kaj
if i remember right, there is a large allen-head set screw that adjusts the rack. i can't remember if it was the Evo or the WRX.. maybe all cars, i'm not sure. check for that first. maybe it just needs to be adjusted?
i also have some intermittent shaking. i checked and re-checked my balance and alignment. i do have a slight play on my driver-side innter tie rod as well. i assumed that was the issue. i don't have a "clunk" but i do feel some looseness when going over certain bumps.

i plan to change the tie rod end and check for that adjustment screw. please let us know if you solve your problem.
I will definitely have to check for an adjustment!
Have you pulled the boot and confirmed it is in fact the ITRE that is causing the play?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 02:55 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
No I do not! What numbers are you speaking of? I told the shop what my issue was, but they never gave me any balancing results.

I have even put hubcentric rings on as I thought that may have had a effect on the shake.

I have rotated the tires every which way, and the shake never changes location. It is hard for me to believe that an extra 20mm aggrivates the shake like that, but I guess the offset is a bit more aggressive at -29mm.

I will definitely have to check for an adjustment!
Have you pulled the boot and confirmed it is in fact the ITRE that is causing the play?

Thanks!
when the car was on the rack, the driver side would visually move independently from the passenger. it was a TINY amount, but we could see. since nothing else was moving we assumed it was the ITR.
after reading your post, we could have been wrong. i hope not LOL
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If there is play in your rack and pinion, then that would definitely cause a shake at highway speeds.

If you have down time on your car, rebuild your own, and replace the pinion gear and rack if needed.

Otherwise, buy a new/used one and swap them out.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, this should be my thread! Chasing a clunk coming from the front end going over certain bumps, progressing to going over all surfaces, tie rods replaced, strut bearings replaced, front motor mount replaced, wider tires all around, 205 to 215's, SW shimmy coming down from high speeds, tires re-balanced, alignment, mechanic under the car, while I turn the wheel, confirms that the clunk is coming from the rack and pinion gear box. I just posted this on my build thread:

An adjustment screw. REALLY?!!! Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 17, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Just found this doing a quick search:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ing-rack-screw

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 17, 2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:48 PM
kaj

something along those lines is exactly what i was talking about. i'm very sure our cars have one.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Duplicate...

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
something along those lines is exactly what i was talking about. i'm very sure our cars have one.
First, I know I'm in the wrong arena but this thread hit the nail on the head for my problem.
Second, I got up underneath my wagon and struggled to get a view of my rack/pinion joint we'll call it, and couldn't make out much. That's quite a tight mess on top of my sub frame...at least, mine is! The only thing I could make out was that large hex at the bottom of the box, hydraulic lines, rear motor mount (looks like its blowing out), and a small amount of grease leaking out AGAIN (2nd time) from between the boot and hub of my rebuilt axle. Maybe it'll be visible once it's removed from the car. The rack is already on order.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:27 AM
kaj

I just found my top hats have some play. Probably has a lot to do with my problems. Dang it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Lancer Rack:

http://m.olx.ph/index.php/view+class...ack+and+pinion

I see now it's on the back side where I can't see/access!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Lancer Rack:

http://m.olx.ph/index.php/view+class...ack+and+pinion

I see now it's on the back side where I can't see/access!

figures. right where you can't adjust/test/adjust. i have a service manual and can see if it lists an easy way to to set it, if you don't have access to one yourself.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
figures. right where you can't adjust/test/adjust. i have a service manual and can see if it lists an easy way to to set it, if you don't have access to one yourself.

No I don't...thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake at Highway Speeds.