Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So my Evo was towed away today....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my Evo was towed away today....

So starting from the beginning, my AC stopped working a few weeks ago, I assumed there was a leak and there was nothing immediate that had to be done. Fast forward to today while I'm driving with the AC on hoping to keep the windows as defrosted as possible, when all of the sudden cold air started blowing again. Next thing I know it stopped blowing cold air and started making a lot of noise...I pulled over and opened the hood and pieces of small shredded rubber came flying out. I thought it was the timing belt, but the engine was still running, although the noise from what ever was broken was really loud. I immediately shut the car off and the smell of burning rubber was really strong.

I dont think it was the timing belt, as it only has 50k on it...I know its getting close, but I doubt that can be it. I think that the AC got jammed and the serp belt was slipping around the pulley and it finally started to shred the belt and it was slapping around the engine bay. From what i could see, the belt looked fine.

I had to towed to the stealership, but I dont know what it could be, anyone have any guesses? Need any more info?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely the clutch on the compressor is going out and causing resistance on the accessory belt. You can fix it, or remove it all together and replace the belt with a RS accessory belt. If you decide to fix it, it's not that hard to do it yourself and save a lot of money, the stealer will bend you over without the courtesy of asking if you want KY.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Serpentine belt from the sounds/(smell) of it. You would need to remove said belt, inspect it, and check a/c compressor, alternator, pulleys tensioners (Anything that the belt runs on) to check for any damage or seized pieces.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:55 PM

i had the same thing happen before winter, sounded like my engine blew up, my ac clutch actually separated from the hub assembly. that's probably all it is.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most likely its your Ac compressor clutch..same thing happened to a friend of mine. Pull off belt or whatever is left of it and spin the pulleys by hand...they should spin freely also check the tensioner..Oh yea most likey your alternator is ruined because of the tightness of the belt so do a voltage check on it with load on and off.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Is there a write up on replacing the AC unit? It's my DD so driving around in Baltimore summer without AC is not gonna happen.

Is the accessory belt easier to get to then the timing belt? I've never done something like that.

As for the alternator issue, how would this cause the alternator to go? Just curious.