Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starting issue need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Starting issue need help!!!

Okay so I left work, It ran perfect started right up no issues on the drive home. I go out about an hour later..car is completely dead. I jumped it...ran perfectly fine again until I shut it off. Back to square one when i tried starting it again. I checked my connections the positive terminal can slide around the post a little bit but cant be pulled off....could that be the whole issue im having? or could it be the battery or alternator?????
Old May 22, 2014, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any slipping electrical connection is not a good one.. fix that first..but it sounds like you need a battery
Old May 22, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
battery. fix the connections.
Old May 22, 2014, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you fixed the connection or replaced the battery and still have this issue, check your starter. I recently had this issue. I have no issue when it's running but sometimes when I shut if off and try to start it, it wouldn't. Checked the starter and it was bad.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Okay so it ended up not being the terminal connections but my battery posts going into the battery are loose and will not tighten...im assuming my battery is just smoked and i need a new one.
Old May 28, 2014, 08:09 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ied-fixed.html
Old May 29, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to look into that when I'm out of work. Same exact issue with the click ill let you know how it works!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

okay so that did not work either...back to replacing the battery
Old Jun 2, 2014, 03:38 PM

Do you have access to a multi-meter or a volt meter. Start the car and disconnect the battery. Measure the voltage from the alternator at the battery cables when the car is running make sure it's supplying more than 12V. Hook the cables back up let the car run for awhile, then disconnect the battery after the car has ran for awhile. Measure across the terminals should be around 12v. If those are good then it's your starter, probably just the solenoid that engages the starter. I know on some domestic cars you can just replace that, never had to mess with the starter on my Evo's though so I don't know. If that is the problem I would see if you can just get the solenoid instead of the whole starter definitely a lot cheaper route. If you disonect the battery, when the car is running, and the car dies you have a bad alternator.

Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:32 AM

You really shouldn't be disconnecting your battery terminals while the car is running. This could cause some harm to the electrical system. If you want to check your alternator you can do the following. While the car is off, check your battery with a voltmeter. If it reads 12.2 V or above, it should have enough power to start the alternator. Otherwise, charge the battery until it reads over that. Then start the car and leave it running. Check the battery with a voltmeter again. The voltage should be between 13-14.X volt for a good alternator. If you get the same reading as when if was off or if the voltage decreases, then you have a bad alternator.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fully charged lead acid battery should read 12.6 volts when charged 100%.

The Evo alternator puts out 14.4 Volts COLD(or if really really cold 14.5 volts)

And fully warmed up and hot it's about 13.5V at the hottest, if it's somewhere in between cold and hot, like just idling warmed up in average ambient temps 70F-85F, should be about 14V flat.

Autozone/auto stores do free battery testing as well. You don't have to remove the battery from your car to test it.

12.0V - 12.2V on your battery means it's almost dead, when a battery is discharged heavily to this point, it will always be running at a reduced efficiency even after recharging the battery.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Autozone tested it..came back replace battery couldnt even get a read off it i guess...but I ordered another small batteryf from STM should be in today. I'm hoping thats all it is..if not back to square one.