Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Data Logging

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Data Logging

I am looking for a data logger that is stand alone, small that can log engine data from the OBD2 port without being connected to a PC. I know there are quiet a few but which one is best. I particularly want to log fuel mixture and knock counts.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:17 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I've had a good experience with my openport 2.0 logger.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Openport 2.0 can data log via a memory card being inserting into it. Biggie is correct. 2.0 all the way.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by biggiesacks
i've had a good experience with my openport 2.0 logger.
+1
Old Jun 1, 2014, 04:10 PM

Thanks heaps. I must be dumb I have had one for a couple of years and never thought to use it for data logging. Next question is what software do you use to read the file?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:17 PM

Excel, or google docs in a pinch.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:41 PM

EvoScan has a new product out looks pretty awesome. Its called the EVODROID7. Basically a droid tablet that hooks up to your OBDII port. It displays everything you'll need in real time, also has the ability to log simultaneously. Cost about $300 bucks with everything you'll need.

Here's the link

http://www.evoscan.com/android-evox-...id7--evoscan-7
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Not to be a dick but isn't there like a gazillion threads on here from people saying that Droid thing sucks ***? Check it out, you'll see what I'm talking about. Excel is what you need to read data logs. Plain and simple, all you need is Excel buddy.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
As far as I saw there is one from one guy that didn't get his product on time and threw a fit.

The other threads I've read folks have been using the tablets and enjoying them.

No dog in this fight. No interest in a tablet or 2.0.

The Tactrix 1.3 cable I've had for 8 years and my old laptop work flawlessly for logging and flashing, that's all I'll ever need
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I never had any luck getting it to log standalone. Can someone that has post their config file I can check out?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by superbovine
I never had any luck getting it to log standalone. Can someone that has post their config file I can check out?
Ill try and get mine up tonight
Old Jun 2, 2014, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
As far as I saw there is one from one guy that didn't get his product on time and threw a fit.

The other threads I've read folks have been using the tablets and enjoying them.

No dog in this fight. No interest in a tablet or 2.0.

The Tactrix 1.3 cable I've had for 8 years and my old laptop work flawlessly for logging and flashing, that's all I'll ever need
Yeah I though I saw threads but you're probably right about it being one douche bag that had to wait for his lol. If the thing works flawlessly then that's a pretty awesome item to have in your arsenal I can't lie. But I'm with you on it being unnecessary. I have an old *** HP mini notebook 2133 (Google it haha its like a baby computer) it works perfect. I got it for $60 on Ebay used, bought an extended life battery ($15) and a cigarette lighter charger ($5) for it, and it has 2 usb ports, flash cable and uego input. I bought a 1.3 cable from hamish and it started falling apart right away. So I bought a 2.0 from tactrix and its worked perfect since day one. The 1.3 I've been able to solder a new usb plug on it and then the flash cable ripped off, more like fell off, and I soldered that on again so its working, currently, lol. 1.3 for live tuning, and 2.0 for data logging. But the OP wanted to know how to read data logs so I'm WAY off topic here. Excel works perfect buddy, just "lock" the top cells so as you're scrolling down you can still see what the value numbers correspond with. Good luck!!!

Last edited by jrainwater; Jun 2, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Ill try and get mine up tonight
Thanks man, no rush!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried emailing tactrix directly?? support@tactrix.com and ask for Mike. He will email you what you need on the spot, assuming he has it. I've never dealt with a company in my life that had better customer service.

Last edited by jrainwater; Jun 2, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
What are you trying to log? The cfg file will change slightly depending on ROM just like the xml file used with EvoScan. Basically you need to look at what you are logging, see how it is logged in EvoScan and then change that formula into something the cfg file understands. While I could easily post my cfg file it probably won't be super useful for you since I've simplified several of the calculations to save the hardware from doing the math and it's not as easy to see the correlation back to what's in the xml. Post up what you have and lets go from there.

Also search for "logcfg" under the ECUFlash forum and you'll pull up some examples there

Last edited by codgi; Jun 2, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Data Logging