Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any early Evos with structural flex issues?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Any early Evos with structural flex issues?

This is a long shot, but maybe someone here can help. I'm looking mainly at the Evo 1-4 guys for some insight.

My Evo 1 RS has developed a nasty creak coming from the left front firewall area. Any time it goes over a bump, gets loaded down or under braking, it creaks, loudly. Jacking the car up from the front, it will creak until the left front tire is off the ground. It sounds like something structural is broken in the firewall area, deep down by the frame rail to the engine bay, but it's heard loudest from the passenger's foot well.

All of my front end bushings are new, every bolt is tight and the car has never been hit from the front. I have a brake brace that reinforces the firewall on the driver's side, and it does its job. The car only has about 30,000 miles on it, but most of those miles had stiff springs (currently 10K springs in the front).

Has any early Evo owner experienced this, or any advice in general? My chassis is too nice to scrap
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
That is an odd one.....anyway to get a video or something? Do you notice any issues when you're driving the car other then the sound? you would think if you had a substantial structural crack you would be able to see it fairly easily.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be possible to hear or experience chassi flex at low speed like that. The monocoque having several layers weaved together is pretty rigid. I would maybe say yes if you were experiencing some serious weight transfer from g-force, down force, and heavy braking.

Only occurring at low speed droop movement seems very odd. Did you ever clean out a pot hole, maybe ran solid motor mounts, do you live in a salty region?