Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone interested in a SS cast manifold?

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone interested in a SS cast manifold?

Yesterday evening I saw MAPs new product for the Evo X. It's s cast Stainless Steel manifold to alleviate some problems Evo X owners have been having with cracker manifolds.

I'm aware of the other cast iron manifold available as I own it.

This is a thread about why this manifold could be better.

On the recently introduced cast iron manifold I was one of the first that had to make a tool to get the nuts onto the manifold. This is something that bothers me and a lot of other people because you cannot easily torque to spec. For some people here the FSM sits next to their bible.

This investment casting means more strength and a much cleaner finished product, porting would be optional and I doubt would help much.

With this manifold I could see it outlasting the car and then some as a cast manifold should.

MAP would need a good amount of interest to start on a prototype, if anyone has anything to chime in now is the time.

Pricing would be in the 5-600 dollar range, comment if you are interested below!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a link to the new Evo X manifold.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rformance.html
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
That looks way better than the stocker, wow. I would be interested later on down the road.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its great to have other options on the market for the CT9A platform but I dont see why people that are serious about their gains will continue to use LOG style manifolds when money isnt a factor, ie paying $600 for a cast manifold when a twinscroll stock location tubular manifold is $700-900

If the exhaust manifold is built right it should never crack, even on a road race platform. I know that cyber evo ran a full race tubular mani and that evo has extreme heat cycles id imagine..

The only thing I THINK I know about log manifolds is that they make more torque over a proper long runner manifold due to the short length of the runners? That is the only benefit I can think of...and that might not even hold true. The HP gains could easily outweigh the minor losses in torque.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 04:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I would be interested, but I'd like to see some data first.

I'd like to see some back-to-back dyno runs from MAP between a ported OEM manifold, FP Cast and their stainless piece. That price point is going to be tough when compared to a ported OEM piece IMO. The dollars to performance just might not be worth it.

Old Oct 12, 2014, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

The cyber Evo makes an insane amount of power.

I'm happy in the 450 range, and that's thanks to a cast manifold
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I would be interested, but I'd like to see some data first.

I'd like to see some back-to-back dyno runs from MAP between a ported OEM manifold, FP Cast and their stainless piece. That price point is going to be tough when compared to a ported OEM piece IMO. The dollars to performance just might not be worth it.

Keep in mind this data is for Evo X, but it seems as if there are gains to be had from a ported OEM manifold. You do bring up a good point in that the Evo 8 & 9 cores are much cheaper than the Evo X and don't have the cracking issues.

Old Oct 13, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the evo x manifold is very restricted flow wise. it was designed for good low end and boost response. the runners are very small in diameter. so its pretty easy to make a manifold replacement that results in better overall power. couple that with the cracking problem with the stocker there was a real need for a nice cast replacement.

the evo 4-9 manifold does not have this flow restriction or cracking problem. most aftermarket manifolds are trading low end torque for modest gains in hp up top. a trade off really. plus FP already has a nice looking replacement at an affordable cost.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the evo x manifold is very restricted flow wise. it was designed for good low end and boost response. the runners are very small in diameter. so its pretty easy to make a manifold replacement that results in better overall power. couple that with the cracking problem with the stocker there was a real need for a nice cast replacement.

the evo 4-9 manifold does not have this flow restriction or cracking problem. most aftermarket manifolds are trading low end torque for modest gains in hp up top. a trade off really. plus FP already has a nice looking replacement at an affordable cost.

understood. unfortunately the OP has had MANY problems with the FP manifold mostly due to reliability/durability issues. This would be his 4th manifold from them if he were to buy another, dont get me wrong he is not a FP hater he runs their FP GREEN turbo and has nothing but praise about it.

OP just have a LOG style mani built to mimic the characteristics of the OEM mani but use free flowing bends in 1.25 runner size to keep velocity up. There are plenty of great welders on this forum than can design something that will have no durability issues.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I wasnt aware of any problems with the FP manifolds. other than the two holes that require the correct nut and tightening technique. are there cracking issues already? havent seen any threads on problems..
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested especially if they could show gains, and address the fitment issue with the bolts. Personally I don't care if I have to grind the manifold or make a special tool to tighten a bolt. But if I could just buy a manifold without the slight issue in the first place I would be onboard.