Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

91 with 10% Ethanol or 94 with NO Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 with 10% Ethanol or 94 with NO Ethanol

I have been using 93 Octane only, but now I relocated to Vancouver Canada where I only have choice of the standard 91 with up to 10% Ethanol or 94 with NO Ethanol added. Which should I go for. Should I look into retuning my car?
The car is 06 Evo
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
94 octane you lucky dog!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
Here in Vancouver your best fuel will likely be Shell 91. I believe it was R.Mutt on this forum who did some dyno testing of our available fuels and Shell won out over the Chevron 94. Real world use backs this up. I have a very long drive to work (1000-1600km) so get to test fuel for mileage. Shell wins. I'm just learning to tune but I get less knock with Shell v Chevron as well.
Depending on your exact location there is an E85 station on the north shore. Costs a pile though.

And welcome to Vancouver, you're gonna love it here! Have you found Revscene yet? It's the local import car site.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A race motorcycle shop in Vancouver ran a dyno test tested a number of available fuels and Shell 91 also came out on top with regard to making power, better than Chevron 94. Shell 91 works the best for me both on normally aspirated cars and bikes and the Evo. Chevron 94 is 2nd best.

If I remember correctly, Washington State 92 which I believe has some alcohol makes better power than Chevron 94 on the ER dyno.

My car is tuned on WA Chevron 92. When there is winter fuel mix both Shell 91 and Cevron 94 give slight knock when I really lean into it. I have to either slightly reduce boost or keep my foot out of it when the winter mix is sold. No such issue during the summer months. Most places in Canada sell different fuel blends in winter.

And there is one station that sells US E85 but this is kind of inconvenient - it is literally the only one - unless you are running two maps etc:

http://www.nsnews.com/news/western-c...uver-1.1314028

Originally Posted by osetsky
Here in Vancouver your best fuel will likely be Shell 91. I believe it was R.Mutt on this forum who did some dyno testing of our available fuels and Shell won out over the Chevron 94. Real world use backs this up. I have a very long drive to work (1000-1600km) so get to test fuel for mileage. Shell wins. I'm just learning to tune but I get less knock with Shell v Chevron as well.
Depending on your exact location there is an E85 station on the north shore. Costs a pile though.

And welcome to Vancouver, you're gonna love it here! Have you found Revscene yet? It's the local import car site.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I will make sure to switch to Shell 91. I have a Wideband that I need to install so I can start monitoring my A/F ratios.

Yes, Vancouver is amazing so far, and I feel like the Evo was build with Vancouver in mind. All the rain, and than going up the mountains is such an amazing driving experience.

I will make sure to look into Revscene.