Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX / P0234 Boost Limit Exceeded Code? Help?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX / P0234 Boost Limit Exceeded Code? Help?

First off, hey guys! I'm new to this forum and the Mitsubishi Evolution as well. I need some help here and I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find an answer. I also looked all over the forum before posting this so if its already somewhere I haven't checked please point me in the right direction. Also Sorry in advance if I don't explain it well enough, ill try to give plenty of detail.

SO I bought a 2006 Evo 9 from car-max last week with 53k miles, (has a Greddy cat back exhaust too, not sure what Greddy specifically). The car seemed to run great, Loving in, but after 3 days I noticed a jerking or "bucking" in 4th gear at 4k rpm. Nothing higher, nothing lower, only 4th gear. I went to get it checked out at my local Mitsubishi dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong but did say it had an aftermarket down-pipe installed as well that might be causing the problem. So I got an OEM one put on this morning and now the jerking and bucking is worse! And seems to be in every gear but 1st gear, and at almost any rpm or anything getting into boost it seems like. I don't even make it home when it tripped the "service engine soon" light. I have an OBD2 code reader that I plugged in and it came up as P0234 Boost Condition -Limit Exceeded... So I'm guessing the car has a tune on it? All the parts are stock as far as I could and can tell, minus the greddy cat-back exhaust now.

The car is still under a 30 day warranty through car-max so I was wondering what might be the issue so I can explain it in person to the service writer and get it fixed/ resolved. If it does have a tune on it, is there any way to get it off? Or install a new tune over it? What direction do I take?

Thanks to any and all in advance!!!

Last edited by EvoCorseIX; Nov 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
the car with an upgraded downpipe will make more boost untuned. your maps are not properly tuned for the downpipe from what it sounds. bring it to road race enginnering for a tune and you should be set.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh okay great, really good to know. Thanks!