Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a fair price?

Ok ive been looking for a 4g64 block and cant seem to find any place willing to sell block only most are doing a longblock. I have found a place willing to sell me a 4g64 longblock minus accessories for 250 pulled and put in my truck is this even worth it because the full hour ad and rotating assembly is junk to me. Also this engine is a core should i ask if i can pull the pan to check inside if its even rebuildable. I dont want to overpay on this as im trying to skimp where i can on this build (what i buy used block and head core) tell me what you guys think

Thanks in advance

Second thing if i come across in my travels a g4js head from the hyundais will this be a bolt up for the 4g64 (i know they are interchangable blocks) but will it be like with the dsms where i have to block ports and what not when people put a 4g64/63 combo or no

Sorry for the noobness this will be 1st evo build and want it to be perfect the 1st time as i dont get alot of extra cash to spend on something that wont work just right
Old Dec 5, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Deals come up from time to time. I just scrapped two 64 blocks for $15 each
Just have to keep your eyes peeled and be in the right place at the right time.

As far as I know the g4js head is missing the coil supply port so that would have to be milled and tapped. Otherwise everything should swap over from your donor or perf parts (springs, retainers, cams etc, you wouldn't want to use the Hyundai parts). I'm sure someone else has more info on that though.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i would just be using a g4js head if i find one at the right price this is not gonna be a cheap build im obviously wanting a 2.4l lr motor and i intend to go all out manley crank map billet rods custom wisecos and up top supertech valves and guides and seals kiggley beehives gsc s3 cams and a big 6466 or a 6766 i just dont know what these blocks sell for lol

You said you scraped 2 blocks so i didnt expect much out of them but what do they generly sell for im assuming i can scrap the head stripped to get pure aluminum price and aluminum pistons and rest steel and get around 80ish back
Old Dec 6, 2014, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Scrap 64s (bare block) go for $10-25 usually depending on the day; I've sold a few for $200 before, $250-300 with rotating assemblies. Only in usable condition though, never cracked, broken ears etc. At that point they would be scrap only.
Finding someone that wants a 64 block to build that doesn't live 1500 miles away from you is pretty difficult though, which is why I usually just scrap them. Between the time and expenses of building a crate for it, cost to ship and time to transport to shipper etc, it isn't worth selling usually. Well, not to me anyway, my time is worth more than I would make with the effort expended

Check your local Mitsubishi and Hyundai dealers, talk to the techs and the parts guys to see if they did any engine replacements recently. That can be a fast way to find a block for $50 etc. These are all old enough that they are out of warranty now, so if someone comes in with a seized balance shaft or bottom end knocking, etc, the majority of the time if it gets fixed it just gets a used engine and the old block goes to scrap. For your needs though something like that would be perfect since you are going to be building the bottom end anyway, just need to tank it to make sure the oil ways are all clear etc.

For Hyundai heads, they regularly come up on ebay for $300-500, no core, even new/rebuilt sometimes. Can't beat that.