Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5600Miles Drive! Traveling with Evo 9 Mr

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I took my car on an 8200 mile trip all around the US, coast-to-coast. I'm tuned on 93 octane, and when I asked my tuner about having to use 91 octane (it's almost impossible to find 93 once you go far enough west) he said it would be fine and to try to stay out of boost. I had my oil changed about halfway through, but for your trip I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the oil right before you leave.

If I could go back and do it over, I wouldn't have taken my car. Mainly because of the wear and tear from having three guys crammed in there with two weeks worth of gear. And we were mostly on highways the whole time, so it was kind of pointless. If it had just been me, and I was driving on lots of backroads, then I would still have taken the evo.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Just fly. You will likely end up spending more on gas than the price of the flight if you drive.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk. however, if you have any worries about your car at all for a long distance drive than maybe you shouldn't take it.

Tires and driving experience are the main things needed when you go up north. Ice and snow are not nice when you have summer/street tires.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by zenki-s13
Not trying to be a jerk. however, if you have any worries about your car at all for a long distance drive than maybe you shouldn't take it.

Tires and driving experience are the main things needed when you go up north. Ice and snow are not nice when you have summer/street tires.
Plus the chance of some other driver that lacks both then slides into him.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

You can run on 91 as people have said, just stay out of boost. If you have a MBC, just turn it down a few clicks for the trip. If you have any comfort level with the ecu, download ecuflash (if that is what you are tuned on= free) and lower boost levels a few psi (WGDC map) or I'm sure your tuner can quickly walk you through it in 5 mins over the phone.

Putting 2/3 91 and 1/3 e85 is not a good idea- these cars are not flex fuel and it doesn't work like that, so please don't try that lol

Good luck with the drive. If the car is built well and maintenance is up to date, I wouldn't have any stress driving the car that far. Evo's are relatively reliable cars if the above is true.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSDQ
Not sure how much stuff you're taking with you but I'd advise bringing some gas cans of 93 and keep 93 in your car as much as you can to hopefully bridge the gap for states or areas of states that don't have 93 octane. You might also look into downloading an app on your phone for 93 octane finder, if there is one. I have one called Flex Fuel Finder that I use all the time and has saved my *** in a pinch.
Don't bring cans of gas like this guy said in your car. That is very dangerous, since if the cans or containers leak vapors you can go unconscious.

I honestly would just fly.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:30 PM

I'm weeks away from a cross-country trip as well. Flying out west January 5th and driving back to Ohio in two days. Have all my e85 stations and stops planned out, called ahead to know their hours and to make sure they're open and take mastercard. Bringing 4 5gallon jugs with me just in case because I have a 450 mile stretch at one point. Good luck to you, sir. Weather channel app, a good set of tires and a bunch of good music on your phone are a must!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboostftw
I'm weeks away from a cross-country trip as well. Flying out west January 5th and driving back to Ohio in two days. Have all my e85 stations and stops planned out, called ahead to know their hours and to make sure they're open and take mastercard. Bringing 4 5gallon jugs with me just in case because I have a 450 mile stretch at one point. Good luck to you, sir. Weather channel app, a good set of tires and a bunch of good music on your phone are a must!
Ha, good planning on the part of E85! Good luck and enjoy your trip...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:18 PM

Just Make sure you do a oil change bfore you leave. I guess you can bring 93 octane cans for back up but all honesty you can just fill it up with 91 and stay out of boost and will be fine !
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't be worried about the octane. Just don't boost it if you have 91 in the car. Unless your car is set up with ridiculous timing down low, you won't have any issues octane wise.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Should be fine if you use a high-quality synthetic oil.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 03:28 PM

Use a good synth and you'll be fine. Highway driving is the best thing for the car. Most synth oils and oem's spec 8-10k intervals. 5k is probably still way conservative.

I just did 9hours from sanfran>palm springs for xmas not taking any highways [all 2 lane roads] and then 7 hours highways back. Car was brilliant. Seats are awesome [i'm 5'10]. But i'm a cyclist and motorcyclist so your *** resiliency may vary. I had a blast.

+1 on tires. At least a good a/s - like the conti dws. I've run them in snow and they're great.

91 should be fine, carry a few cans of octane booster if it gets cranky. Just stay out of WOT.

Spring for the triple-A plus membership with free 200 mile tow. Just incase..

good luck!
jim
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xene
Don't bring cans of gas like this guy said in your car. That is very dangerous, since if the cans or containers leak vapors you can go unconscious.
I honestly would just fly.
you get the award for dumb comment of the day. I traveled with 3 containers of E85 in my trunk 5 hours one-way when I took my car to the shop and did the same on the way back down. Clearly I didn't go unconscious since I'm typing this right now. And I was implying that you put the cans in the trunk. Have you been huffing gasoline fumes again? Or do you always let your cans of gas ride shotgun with you? Or is it from your gasoline scented air freshener?

I typically drive around with a jug of E85 in the trunk at all times. It's secured by a strap.

Last edited by NSDQ; Jan 13, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
[url]