Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5600Miles Drive! Traveling with Evo 9 Mr

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5600Miles Drive! Traveling with Evo 9 Mr

Hi everyone, I kinda worried about driving with my evo from Austin to seattle. But I have to go there to visit my friends and family. so I decided to drive. It is 5600 miles total.

I have few questions,
The car is 93 tuned at Mzm performance in Austin Tx. But some state don't have 93. Is it safe to put 91 in it? Or I should put 2/3 91 and 1/3 E85 together?

I do oil changes on my evo every 3000. If I drive far distance at once. Do I have to do oil change at 3000? or I can drive 5000? Will that be bad?

The car is tuned for 330hp on dynojet, and mustangDyno is 390hp. Car is built for Daily drive and I drive about 100miles per day.Right now the car have 87,000 miles. I am also looking to sell my daily drive Evo 9 Mr, because I putting too many miles every single days.

I am traveling to seattle in 3 days. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do? Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails 5600Miles Drive! Traveling with Evo 9 Mr-img_3391.jpg  
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Raise the car and look for any leaks. If all is dry change oil. This time of year oil changes should be predicated on the number of cold starts not the number of highway miles. Five thousand highway miles is not a problem. The 93 octane tune is a problem but I suppose you will be okay if you take it easy. Otherwise, retune.

The only other thing I can think of that might cause a problem is driving the wrong tires. It is winter up north, you need snow tires.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure how much stuff you're taking with you but I'd advise bringing some gas cans of 93 and keep 93 in your car as much as you can to hopefully bridge the gap for states or areas of states that don't have 93 octane. You might also look into downloading an app on your phone for 93 octane finder, if there is one. I have one called Flex Fuel Finder that I use all the time and has saved my *** in a pinch.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Why drive instead of fly? It's a lot quicker to fly (and cheaper)

And what route are you taking that is 2600 miles one way? Even driving up the Cali coastline is only 2500 miles. Direct and through Utah is 2100 miles
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Too much stress. I'd rather take an airplane or rent a car.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5k miles is the interval recommended in the owners manual. You should be fine unless you're taking a race track all the way up there.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

You should be fine on a fresh oil change with a good oil. it is fine to put lower octane as long as you avoid going full boost. I have done numerous cross country trips on the evo in the past when it was my only car. If your evo consumes oil just make sure to check it regularly.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
plan your fuel stops, call ahead to get your 93 lined up, take it easy, put the best oil you can get in it before you leave. Take some good tools and make sure you have a good tow company if something goes wrong
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:57 PM

YMMV but...

No way I would do that in my evo, no cruise will be painful after a few hours, recaros are awesome up until about 3 hours when they arent anymore.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by antij0sh
No way I would do that in my evo, no cruise will be painful after a few hours, recaros are awesome up until about 3 hours when they arent anymore.
^ This. I drove my Evo from LA to Nebraska. Uncomfortable as hell for that long of a drive.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:49 PM

I wouldn't drive. Save the miles and stress, and just fly.

I don't know exact dates (you said leaving in 3 so I did Friday departing) but searched a flight on Hotwire for you, and returning the following Thursday. And the flight is $459. That's worth the long ride and ****ty drive lol

http://www.hotwire.com/air/results.jsp?searchTokenId=1&backButtonInputId=air-index
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dumb idea ****ty weather and unfamiliar roads why would u risk a wreck muchless snow wreck.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than completely possible, I drove my evo up from Bonney Lake, Wa ( like 30-50 miles away from Tacoma, can't remember exactly at this point) up to Fairbanks, AK. Its roughly the same distance, and I did it in 3 days of straight driving, only time I stopped was for gas. A lot of the oils made now days are good for extended change intervals so anywhere from 5k-10k miles depending on driving habits, but I would suggest an oil change once you make it to seattle and once you make it back (with that said I change mine every 2k miles due to my ocd habits, but didn't on the drive up). As for the gas just stay out of boost and you should be more than fine. Highest octane we have up here in AK is 90 oct and there was a month or 2 before I found race gas to mix in with the fuel that I was driving on a stock tune (cars are tuned for 94 oct from the factory). If there become an issue with the oct level on the high octane the map should revert to low oct maps to fill the gaps for more safety, but so long as you aren't going WOT all the time your car shouldn't feel a need to do so. As for the comfortability I will warn you now it will suck. Don't get me wrong I love my Recaros and think they're comfortable as hell for driving around town once I hit like 4 hrs into the drive everytime I would get past 100 miles after a fill up/stretch my legs would start to go to sleep. It takes a little getting used to but you can still drive like this safely, just watch your speedo as it is difficult for you to feel how far the pedal is down so you will start to drift either faster or slower than the speed limit. All in all my advice is if you can afford to fly, do it, but if you must drive it is completely doable and it won't cause any irrevocable damage. O and just a little fyi when I did my drive I had roughly 200 miles break in on a brand new transfer case. It's been about 15k miles since I made that drive and my engine and drivetrain are still running strong with no mechanical issues.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:49 PM

Wait, how do you have 390hp on a mustang dyno and 330hp on a dynojet?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't the main problem caused by running lower octane fuel pre-detonation under hard boost, so as long as he takes it easy if he has to use crappy fuel he should be fine?

Quick Reply: 5600Miles Drive! Traveling with Evo 9 Mr