Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What Truck?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a F150 EcoBoost (Twin-Turbo). It does 22mpg Highway, combined I get 16mpg average with towing capacity of 11k/lbs is not bad for the truck. Plus you can mod these if you want.

Overall, pickups are heavy turds that go through tires like mad. Their bed is rarely used let alone convenient, cab does not have trunk so you either use the bed that is exposed to atmosphere unless you get some even less convenient bed cover, that still lets through rain.

I regret the decision of getting a truck and it'll be for sale pretty soon, with that said, I would be much happier with an SUV (Cayenne, MDX, Toureg, Explorer) that can still tow quite a bit, are lighter, nimbler and better on fuel, plus are all around cars.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbong
I got a F150 EcoBoost (Twin-Turbo). It does 22mpg Highway, combined I get 16mpg average with towing capacity of 11k/lbs is not bad for the truck. Plus you can mod these if you want.

Overall, pickups are heavy turds that go through tires like mad. Their bed is rarely used let alone convenient, cab does not have trunk so you either use the bed that is exposed to atmosphere unless you get some even less convenient bed cover, that still lets through rain.

I regret the decision of getting a truck and it'll be for sale pretty soon, with that said, I would be much happier with an SUV (Cayenne, MDX, Toureg, Explorer) that can still tow quite a bit, are lighter, nimbler and better on fuel, plus are all around cars.
I think you meant to say YOU rarely use the bed of a truck. I use mine all the time. Taking the boat or the car to the track is a ton easier to throw everything in the back of the truck vs. In an suv.

My fav truck right now is the new v6 ram diesel 1500 as well. That thing is sick. I'm planning on getting one second hand, aka not sticker price lol
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

For those saying that a diesel is needed or better... What are you honestly towing? A 12k pound trailer.. Yes. Now for daily driving, camping and towing under 11k my 12 Tundra is sweet. Bad *** brakes, tons of power and comfortable. Plus believe it or not pretty fast for a truck.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
I think you meant to say YOU rarely use the bed of a truck. I use mine all the time. Taking the boat or the car to the track is a ton easier to throw everything in the back of the truck vs. In an suv.

My fav truck right now is the new v6 ram diesel 1500 as well. That thing is sick. I'm planning on getting one second hand, aka not sticker price lol
I use mine, I take my ATV to the parks, which is not to say that having a nice flat-bed trailer wouldn't actually be better or even an enclosed trailer.

I wanted to get the V6 1500 Diesel, but when I was looking for one, Dodge kept postponing its release time so I ended up with an EcoBoost.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 88_Pathy
For those saying that a diesel is needed or better... What are you honestly towing? A 12k pound trailer.. Yes. Now for daily driving, camping and towing under 11k my 12 Tundra is sweet. Bad *** brakes, tons of power and comfortable. Plus believe it or not pretty fast for a truck.

I own a Cat 305 mini excavator with a wet weight of 12k lbs and Cat 299 skid steer with certain attachments weighs around 12k also.... Add in the 3500lbs of the trailer, 200lbs of chains and misc equipment on trailer and were up around 16k lbs behind you. Stick your badass tundra under that so I can get a good laugh
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does the space shuttle weigh cuz I seem to remember toyota ran a campaign ad for awhile where they had a tundra towing the space shuttle. But they prolly had a specialty trailer for that, I like the truck but I don't see the frame let alone hitch supporting that much weight alone, but I still thought it was a cool ad.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jason42003
How much does the space shuttle weigh cuz I seem to remember toyota ran a campaign ad for awhile where they had a tundra towing the space shuttle. But they prolly had a specialty trailer for that, I like the truck but I don't see the frame let alone hitch supporting that much weight alone, but I still thought it was a cool ad.
bwaaaahhhhhh. diesel gurls....right
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Tundras are the fugliest of all the trucks on the market hands down.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:05 AM

truck guy

New to the evo game but work for a diesel perfomance shop. Any diesel is super fun easy to do mods I have a 2000 powerstroke into it about 8 grand with 480hp and over 1000 ft lbs of torque. Diesels are fun and relaible and pretty dang fast.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

I've become a chevy guy over the years after owning two tahoes but I bought a 1999 dodge ram (beater truck) with a 5.2 magnum gas engine, she's nothing to look at, but this truck has changed my outlook on Dodge's, I got it with 210,XXX miles, I've already pulled a 24'/4K+ pound travel trailer and she pulled it like a champ, she did struggle a little bit up the hills but not having a turbo, that's expected, I will say I have a new outlook on Dodge's after owning this truck, the only issue with these 90's rams was the dashes in them falling apart
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:22 PM
BB6

I bet you can still find a Ford Raptor on the lot. Love my raptor. The ride is so soft due to its long travel suspension. 6.2L is thirsty but gets the big truck moving fast enough.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BB6
I bet you can still find a Ford Raptor on the lot. Love my raptor. The ride is so soft due to its long travel suspension. 6.2L is thirsty but gets the big truck moving fast enough.
Now, raptor with Ecoboost twin-turbo with some tasteful mods and tune would be awesome!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:10 PM
BB6

Originally Posted by bbong
Now, raptor with Ecoboost twin-turbo with some tasteful mods and tune would be awesome!
The 2017 Ford Raptor will come with a 10-speed transmission and peeps are estimating 450-500hp from the ecoboost engine. Might be worth the wait.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BB6
The 2017 Ford Raptor will come with a 10-speed transmission and peeps are estimating 450-500hp from the ecoboost engine. Might be worth the wait.
All for what???
$75k?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 04:10 PM

2001 7.3L, 225,000 miles, still runs perfect

Quick Reply: What Truck?