Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question about heater core hoses

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about heater core hoses

Alright so I know the heater core hoses send hot water to the heater so the heater would heat up. If I decide to unplug these 2 tubes (just don't ask why, that's not the point here), what would be my next course of action? I know I can't just leave them hanging since that might warp the head. Can I plug them into each other? That way the water/coolant travels back without having to travel through the heater. I took a picture and kinda drew a line to connect them so you know what mean.
Would that work? Thanks in advance

http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Call...lt57p.jpg.html.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be able to loop them together using a different/less complex route. You want as few kinks as possible in the flow.

I am going to ask why. There is no reason any car should not have heat/defrost no matter what its being used for.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Avari
You should be able to loop them together using a different/less complex route. You want as few kinks as possible in the flow.

I am going to ask why. There is no reason any car should not have heat/defrost no matter what its being used for.
Long story short, the tubes were damaged/cut towards the ends (not by me, I'm not an idiot, and it doesn't matter who either), and I still need to drive the car, and i wanted to know if I could have the hoses looped together until I get replacements.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah you can, take one hose and go from the water pipe to the waterneck. no issues, been doing it for about 10 months now.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:17 PM

Loop them together, this is what I did on mine after deleting the a/c and heater (because rececar). But it does suck in rain or a cold morning, the whole windshield fogs up.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah. No heater core in winter sucks large! But it's not gonna hurt your car with that coolant line looped.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 08:20 AM

You already got answer about the hoses - yes, you can bypass the heater core.
(Not going to mention again about the danger due to no defrost...good luck)

Anyway, don't forget that you're going to have residual coolant still hanging out in the heater core if you just pull those lines off and connect them together. Don't forget to plug the inlet/outlet holes on the firewall side to avoid debris getting in there and contaminating the core and causing your water pump to hate you after/if you reconnect and recirculate everything.