Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help! Problems with the ETACS ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help! Problems with the ETACS ECU?

After spending several hours reading other posts and forums, i have suspected that i have recently fried my EATCS ECU. I have a few questions but ill give a little background first to let you know what happened and why i suspect a fried ETACS.

I was replacing the ignition ring connector on my 03 Evo8 GSR, as it had broken and caused the key FOB to stop working. Unfortunately i wasn't thinking and pulled a noob mistake by not disconnecting the battery prior to cutting the cable on the light to the light ring.

After cutting that light wire the car instantly went crazy, horn constantly blaring all signals on and the back wiper going back and forth. After disconnecting the battery and then the horn i tried reconnecting the battery... Signals still on outside and in the car, key fobs don't work and neither do automatic locks. After starting the car (completely fine), the back windshield starts spraying fluid.

Now, after pulling the fuses for turn signals/hazards and the back wiper i am able to drive the car fine for the last couple days to work and back... (aside from blinkers/hazards ). Went to talk to the dealer and they said it would be $125 just to diagnose it, most likely to tell me something i already know. Im looking into buying one on Ebay with the entire front dash wiring harness for $150 but i wanted to make sure before i spend any money to do anything.

Questions:
Does anyone else think that this is a fried ETACS based on the picures and/or the symptons?
I've taken the time to take it out of the car and take it apart to check if its fried, but didn't visually see anything that would indicate it has any problems. I have attached some images of my ETACS taken part.

If its fried does anyone have an extra i could buy from you?

If i chose to buy this one on ebay, but it says 14 on the ETACS box instead of 18 like mine, will that ETACS work on my car?
From everything i've read, simply plugging in a new/used functioning ETACS will completely fix the problem if the ETACS is the correct problem, aside from having to reprogram the key FOB.

Any help or input is much appreciated! Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Need help! Problems with the ETACS ECU?-img_1322.jpg   Need help! Problems with the ETACS ECU?-img_1323.jpg   Need help! Problems with the ETACS ECU?-img_1324.jpg  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump, help please
Old Jan 11, 2016, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue

Hey dumb question but how exactly did you open up your etacs?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

etacs

Yes, my opinion is that it is the etacs, replace it and you should be good to go. The 530918 will work exactly the same as the 8637A014. Just get the one that's cheaper and reprogram your key fobs after it's done.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:54 AM

Not sure if you ever got this sorted out, but that issue sounds more like the kick-panel corrosion issue that these cars have rather than an ETACS issue.

Edit from 6 years later: Disregard this comment, I had no idea wtf I was talking about. OP's problem was definitely an ETACS issue.

Last edited by Ichigo0Soul; Oct 22, 2022 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Idk