Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are your Ferodo DS2500 as noisy as mine? :(

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are your Ferodo DS2500 as noisy as mine? :(

Hey guys!

I picked up some DS2500 brake pads about 2 months (1200 miles) ago and I'm dealing with some pretty gnarly brake squeal. It ONLY happens when I am come to a slow stop (less then 10 mph after a little bit of driving) and it's only the FRONT brakes. Most people say that after the brakes are heated up, the squeal should reduce, but this isn't the case unfortunately. I did the install myself and did tons of research on the correct way to do it. I used the factory shims on the rears and a part? of the shims of the front. I think there are two pieces of shims for the fronts and I only used the bigger piece. Maybe this could be the issue? I also did not swap my rotors, but I had no issues with my OEM pads.

I bedded the brakes in properly, and used plenty of grease for the install as well. I am installing my springs today so I'll have some time to work on the brakes, so any input is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

the rotor furfaces are probably glazed. if they are shiny, have a shop machine them very lightly to put a rough surface.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i put anti squeal crap on mines and around the edge of the backing and no squeal. every so often a slight squeak but 95% of the time nothing. i was pretty surprised, i was expecting a pig like the hawk HP+
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The DS's do tend to squeal particularly in low speed and cold temps. I'm on my 3rd set now and after 8 years I guess I've just gotten used to the noise.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by codgi
The DS's do tend to squeal particularly in low speed and cold temps. I'm on my 3rd set now and after 8 years I guess I've just gotten used to the noise.
Yeah its usually only embarrassing when I'm pulling up in a parking lot and I see a cute girl and then I brake. No girl likes a guy with squeaky brakes haha. But in all seriousness, the performance outweighs the sqeual, but it is still definitely an annoyance. I'll try the anti squeal stuff!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine squeals quite a bit too
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you put a little bit of heat in them, like a few repeated stops from speed and subsequent cool down - eg rebed them - they should quieten down. At least that has worked for me. YMMV.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AllDayAnthony
Yeah its usually only embarrassing when I'm pulling up in a parking lot and I see a cute girl and then I brake. No girl likes a guy with squeaky brakes haha. But in all seriousness, the performance outweighs the sqeual, but it is still definitely an annoyance. I'll try the anti squeal stuff!
What I really find annoying is that the average person thinks that means the brakes on the car are bad. If I had a dollar for the amount of times people have told me I need to change my brakes in those same situations.....

Best was one time I'm pulling in the gas station. This guy hears the brakes and says he works on Subaru's all the time so he can fix my brakes. I tell him first of the brakes are fine its the pad compound not wear that makes them squeal. 2nd of all if you can't tell the difference between a Mitsubishi and a Subaru what makes you think I would let you work on my car?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:51 PM

Comment removed.

Last edited by jdm_dan; May 17, 2021 at 01:06 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've found the ds2500 are terrible for brake squeal and as you mentioned it's only when you are coming to a stop. Mine were so bad that I would use the hand brake.

Heat doesn't help and they fall apart if you use them on the track.

As mentioned it's an easy fix though. Get yourself some shims (if you don't have them already) and cover the shims in nickel grease. Problem solved.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have used the pink silicone brake squeak stuff to quiet the brakes. If I used the pads in the canyons, they would squeak when I came to a stop (hot). Other wise they are not squeaky.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
what shims are you using?

my pads are very quiet. I am running the oem shims with high grade anti seize between the shims & pads.

I have run 2 sets of ds2500's & I am looking into my 3rd set.... Despite the dust.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:45 AM

What rotors? My DS2500 squeal got much worse when I switched from Brembo to Centric Premium.

I've used the Ferodos for most of the last eight years, and did a bunch of stuff with shims, greases, and sprays trying to control it. There are some brake noises you can control that way, but not the squeal. I've found that they will stay relatively quiet if I keep them bedded, but it's hard to do driving around town, and I'll usually lose the bedding with a day of driving in traffic. It's also hard to avoid spotting them if I try to keep them warm in town, and pulsating brakes is much worse than squeal.

I've tried a few other pads, but the ds2500 gives me strong constant friction across the exact temperature range I drive in. The only time I don't have confidence in the Ferodo's in when I'm braking slowly to avoid scaring people, and fear causing the agony of my squealing brakes instead.

My next step is to try EBC Redstuff, and if I don't like them, I'll look for a higher carbon rotor to pair with the DS2500. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just keep squealing.

If you choose that path, embrace it fully. I've had people driving slowly on a mountain road pull off just to get away from my brakes. When I pick up my wife at a crowded or airport, one gentle tap of my brakes, and she know exactly where i'm at. Some people may complain, but I bet their brakes can't make a Prius use a turnout.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:50 AM

mine sequel plenty when coming to a stop, but I don't really care. it's just another raw aspect to the car. Ceramic brakes often make alot of noise as well, so not exactly in bad company.