Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What would you do if you were in my shoes?

So everyone, I'm at about 120k miles and it's time to do my timing belt and Waterpump. I also have low compression in 2 cylinders (100,105,120,120) and it seems as if the engine is burning more oil. Compression goes up to 120 if I pour oil down the cylinders. I don't know how to replace the engine nor the timing belt so the dealership is doing all the work. Currently, 6k for a new shortblock and belts/Waterpump or 2k for the belts and Waterpump?

What would you guys do, rebuild the engine now along with the 120k maintenance or just do the maintenance?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stop taking my Evo to the dealer and getting raped. Timing package and water pump with labor should be about half of what the dealer is charging you. Also, you can buy a complete bottom end at a Mitsu dealer for $2500 then just go to an Evo shop and have them do the labor. A reputable shop will not charge you extra for the timing and water pump job since they will already be in there swapping bottom ends. It should all be covered in the labor for bottom end swap
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do a built bottom end at that price. Like the op said don't take it to the dealer.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've asked around and the only tuner shop that I know that's good with evos quoted me just shy of 6k for the bottom end replacement and belts. Slightly cheaper for the 120k maintenance, but what's the point of doing just the maintenance when the engine will need to be pulled sooner than later. My issue with the tuner shop doing it is that they told me it may take a month to two months and the price is almost the same as dealership.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IF you have the budget buy a bare block from a Mitsu dealer, I paid $1500 for a bare 9 block, then buy forged internals. At my shops cost, I got my internals for right around $2000 if I remember correctly. I paid another $1500 for machine work, Class One in Freeport IL.
If you dont have $5000+ just for a bottom end go with what I originally said. If you buy a bottom end from Mitsu, completely assembled, there is no reason it should take 1-2 months. Im assuming the 1-2 months was with buidling your existing bottom end and that means machine shop. Machine shops are unpredictable in wait times, especially with the upcoming season about to hit.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
2k for belt and water pump? we get raped in Aus when it comes to this type of thing and I wouldnt even pay for that here.

I know you said you don't know how to do the work but I don't either but when it comes to the time, I'm going to learn and theres enough youtubes and onfo on here to help you and for the saving you will make you can also buy some great bolt ons. For the rebuild, take advice from others on here, if you can get some space to do the build yourself make it your challenge to give it a go. Also look at pulling the motor yourself and maybe sending it or trailering in to a shop further a field, but the parts yourself and get them to labour it. Look at options
Old Apr 23, 2015, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't go to the dealership!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:20 AM

There is a good shop out their in UT. Take it in and ask for them to build the bottom end and and put back together. How old is your clutch, while they are down their might as well have that touched
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
My thought. take it to a evo Shop You can get a built Bottom end from Buschur for like 3200 +500 for timing parts Or talk to TScomp he can get you the hook up on the Bottom end. Most shops should charge you about 1000 dollars to pull the motor that would be what i do. No need to throw back in a stock.

Last edited by thepoint4life23; Apr 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 05:49 PM

I agree, for that price you get a nice fully built motor. NEVER go to a dealer for that kind of work! Good luck, make sure you do your homework on shops too.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

you got 9 good responses . here is #10. NO DEALERS. you can get a forged stroker with a clutch for what your about to spend. get a local member or a good local shop to help . i know there are horror stories about non evo shops but lets face it, its just another front wheel drive car only with a transfer case. not rocket science don't be scared. this basic platform is waaayyy easy to work with. do some work yourself and save if you can. if not find a shop even a state away and travel you'll still save money. go forth and make power.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't see an issue here.do your 60K service and keep driving your car.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:35 AM

Don't think that just because you are taking your car to a Mitsubishi dealer that the technicians are always going to know exactly what they are doing or even care about your car. They are the same techs as anywhere else, you just pay a lot more money for the same or worse service. Hell, I worked at a dealership fresh out of high school and they had me fixing anything and everything on customer cars with no "special training". Either do the work yourself or take it to a reputable specialty shop.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its gonna cost almost 2k for the 120k maintenance. parts alone is almost 1000. i just had it done. all oem mitsu parts. all orings, seals, pump, belt, etc etc.
your 120k isnt just timing belt. its more than that. so if your just talking about a timing belt service then 2k is high.
this is what people need to understand. not all shops have time to just do your engine. its race season, its going to take time to fit you in their schedule. unless this shop is sitting on their thumbs then start bargaining.
as for most shops i've been to, there are months and months wait to get stuff done. i had to wait 4 months to get in a tune time.
i thought there was a really good evo shop in Utah?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
60k, 120k, 180k etc... Services are about 500 in parts assuming OEM. Half that if you go with aftermarket ex. gates. Shouldn't be more than 300 in labor. If you paid more than 1k to have it done anywhere you were robbed

Quick Reply: What would you do if you were in my shoes?