Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help, evo cuts off when accelerator is pressed!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, evo cuts off when accelerator is pressed!

First time posting on here, so to start off i just finished a rebuild/swap on my car evo 8. I bought a used evo 9 mivec engine with wiring harness and ecu. I installed new bearings, rings, valves, springs, lifters, gsc s2 cams, ect. So after i finish everything i flash a my ecu with tephra mod on speed density running a omni 4 bar sensor. Now i'am not new to tuning i know what im doing. I fire up the car and it idles great but as soon as i press the pedal it just cuts off completly , sounds like it backfires for a second then dies or drops rpm under 1k. I've tried replacing spark plugs, swapped out cam sensors with new ones and spares (i dont have them backwards), tried my old o2 sensor, new wires, tested coils for resistance, boost leaked test, checked timing marks, all fuses and connections. Only sensor i don't have a spare of is the TPS sensor but when i log on evoscan its set at 13.333 and when i press wot it goes to 100 so its working properly. I'm thinking it could be my fuel pump? or fuel strainer? car sat for a year with e 85 inside the tank. I'am completely lost sorry for long post i just don't know what to try anymore if anyone has had this problem and could chime in i would appreciate it thank you.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:56 AM

Update : Just installed new walbro 255 w/ new filter, no luck.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:46 PM

Update: Checked all engine bay wires and connections, no shorts found.
Old May 15, 2015, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

whats the wideband say when you stick the throttle?
Old May 17, 2015, 07:54 PM

Hey thanks for the reply luckily i figured it out , wideband was going lean. Turns out when i got my fuel rail powder coated it they stuffed some paper towel in there to prevent anything from getting in, it allowed a bit of full to go in but not enough. Took it out car runs perfect.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TechyEVO
Hey thanks for the reply luckily i figured it out , wideband was going lean. Turns out when i got my fuel rail powder coated it they stuffed some paper towel in there to prevent anything from getting in, it allowed a bit of full to go in but not enough. Took it out car runs perfect.
Paper towel left in the fuel rail? Thats a ****ty job from the person who left it in there lol