Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cant build boost past 14 psi, and Crazy exhaust leak sound coming from engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant build boost past 14 psi, and Crazy exhaust leak sound coming from engine bay.

So about a month ago I started noticing that my temp gauge was bouncing around and I was seeing oil in the coolant reservoir. My car was also sputtering when I would reach 10-14 psi. So I figured a head gasket would fix these issues. So I replaced my head gasket and now I have one new problem, and still one old problem. First problem is that my car will not build boost past 14lbs. Once it hits 14lbs it begins to sputter. It sounds like your hitting fuel cut. I first figured that it was due to a boost leak or exhaust leak. I havent been able to find either of those tho. Second issue is a loud sound that sounds like a exhaust leak coming from the engine bay. It is very loud and raspy when I am accelerating. My car did not make this noise before I did the head gasket. So obviously my fault, but I cannot find a leak. Ive checked all of my exhaust connections, removed the turbo manifold and replaced the gasket. Ive done about all I can think of. Has anyone seen or heard of these issues before?? Any tips or ideas??
Old Jun 4, 2015, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that I would post my findings so that it may help someone else down the road. The issue ended up being my fuel pressure sensor that was bad. It connects to the vacuum side of the FPR. So basically I wasnt getting enough fuel pressure, hence the fuel cut sputtering sound.