Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you interested, in doing this yourself, I was able to purchase the inflator from a dealer, (most WILL NOT) sell you this part! I live in Hawaii, there is no dealer on island, and I was not about to ship my car to another island. I only found ONE place that would ship me this part, part was cheap, but shipping was not . (Part was less than $30) If interested p.m. me and I will forward you the dealer info.

Last edited by 96Dsm2Evo05; Aug 18, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

airbag

I called and filed a complaint today. The lady who took the information down was a little condescending. She asked did you have a boost gauge in the car? I said yes but it's not on the dash. She said well that's why you were charged $125. I said, the boost gauge was working before they disconnected it, should it cost $125 just to plug it back in? The point is the car was an easy job, they didn't have any problems with it, so why should I be charged extra? One thing I do remember is that they specifically asked if I had a Sirius radio or if it was just a basic radio. I said basic radio.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another air bag recall update

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
I called and filed a complaint today. The lady who took the information down was a little condescending. She asked did you have a boost gauge in the car? I said yes but it's not on the dash. She said well that's why you were charged $125. I said, the boost gauge was working before they disconnected it, should it cost $125 just to plug it back in? The point is the car was an easy job, they didn't have any problems with it, so why should I be charged extra? One thing I do remember is that they specifically asked if I had a Sirius radio or if it was just a basic radio. I said basic radio.
Guys, what you need to be stressing is this is a safety recall. It's not your fault Mitsubishi and Takata effed up. It shouldn't matter if you have Teletubbies installed on your dash, in-dash navigation, Sirius, or anything else. You should not be forced to pay up, or risk your passenger's life. They are already getting sued. Do they want a second lawsuit? You shouldn't be paying anything. The dealers should be seeking reimbursement from Mitsubishi NA, who should be seeking reimbursement from Takata. The end. Everyone needs to make these points when talking to Mitsubishi NA.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

airbag

Mitsu called me back on my complaint. First thing they asked me was why I took so long to file the complaint. I said I work full time, not like I'm sitting at home waiting for the next recall notice. So she says they will talk to their corporate office and let me know what their decision is.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:02 PM

I go back to another dealer on the 26th, i'll keep you all updated. Everything sounds good on the phone, we will see. I used this dealer in the past with my Jeep.

I agree, I stressed on the phone safety recall and the rep couldnt agree more.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had mine replaced at Mark mitsubishi in Scottsdale,Az. Spoke to the service manager. He assured me they wouldnt touch the ecu. I pulled my gruppe s triple gauge pod, my aem wideband and my ebc. He thanked me , complimented the car a bit and told me if I needed any services from him that he would give me a "better" price. Overall very good experience.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 01:35 PM

Just did mine last night, took a couple hours taking my time, it was pretty easy. Plus I dont have to worry about someone else taking my car apart.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have mine schedule tomorrow August 27, 2015. Wish me luck ya'll .
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:51 PM

Has anyone in South Florida gone to a dealer yet? Any negative experiences if so?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I took my car to the Mits. dealer in Fort Collins, and have had a few problems since.

1) The lights behind the gauge pod are not working any more in the middle section of the speedometer.

2) All of my HVAC controls are not working properly (besides the fan speed dial). The knob that controls where the air goes does not work at all, and the rear defroster button does nothing.

3) I also found two bolts just laying on my seat, and I have no idea where they are from

My first question is, do dealers warranty their work so I can get their mistakes fixed at no cost to me? And secondly, if the work is warrantied, do I have to take it to the same dealer to get the issues fixed? (I no longer have the ability to trust the dealer)

Note: I know I had posted this before, but I was not aware of the HVAC malfunction at the time.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 08:05 PM

Its crazy how many issues there are with this recall... literally under the glove box on passenger a few bolts and done, no disconnecting anything special
Old Sep 2, 2015, 09:04 PM

Funny how the dealership screws up a bunch of crap while replacing something so easy. Then when stuff stops working or doesn't work the same as before, it's somehow the owner's fault.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 09:58 AM

My evo has been in the shop for 3 months now and I'm petrified to get this warranty work done just to screw some more things up. Though I'd never be able to live with myself if I ignored it and something happened. Every Mitsu dealer I've been to couldn't even tell me what fluid I need to buy when it's even labeled on the reservoir...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 01:26 PM

They forgot one of the plugs on your gauge cluster. You can take it back and deal with them again, (as they are the ones that messed up) However you can fix it your self in about 2 min. there are 2 screws that hold the black plastic piece around the speedo , remove those, put steering wheel all the way down and take off the plastic piece. Then there are 2 more that hold in the actual cluster at the top. Now the cluster will pull right out. There are 2 plugs on the back, one blue and one black, the black one is the one you are looking for. It may be down in the hole some, as they had to remove your whole dash, it sometimes gets stuck. Plug that back in and all should work.

Originally Posted by Lombardi23
Its crazy how many issues there are with this recall... literally under the glove box on passenger a few bolts and done, no disconnecting anything special
While that is the location of the inflator, you cant just reach in there and change it. You have to remove the whole dash. So not as easy as you say.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called the dealer and have an appointment scheduled for next week. I think Ill just label all of the problems with sticky notes, just to make sure they don't miss anything. I REALLY want this to be the LAST trip I ever have to take to this Mits. dealer!

Quick Reply: Another air bag recall update